Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thy Neighbor

There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about Kendall and her journey. How much it has affected her life...our lives...the life of others. And...life...is what it affects.

Kendall's doctor appointments this week have all been good reports. The MRI reports that the tumors are 99% gone. Her blast cells are at 3%, still good enough to be considered in remission. And the physical pain is almost all but gone, with the exception of certain procedures she is still having. Kendall's doctor said she can home this weekend and not have to return until December 30. So Kendall will be able to spend Christmas and her birthday at HOME...with family and friends. That leaves her with just two more treatment cycles to go...January and February. Hopefully after that, Kendall will be healthy enough to come home for good....minus the repeated trips back out to Houston for follow-up testing. But Kendall is ready to move forward and finish strong.

The last couple of months have been very hard, physically and emotionally for Kendall. Still she remains dedicated to get through this. Don't get me wrong, there have been some MOMENTS to where I didn't know how we were going to get through it. But we have. And we continue to fight as long as it may take.

I read some literature at the hospital over the last couple of weeks and there was one certain question that kept coming up. The question was, "Where is God in all of this?" I read the the responses in their literature but have come up with my own version of where He is. I have heard about God for my entire life. I have been to church. I have been to Sunday school. I have been to all the programs that the church has to get one acquainted with God. I have been Saved. I have been Baptised. But for some reason, God has always been to me....more like the next door neighbor that you occasionally see. They're always there, but you don't always acknowledge it like you should. Since Kendall's journey has begun, it has helped me to start a new renewed relationship with God. I have opened my doors to the neighbor. I have invited Him into my home...into my life. It's a relationship that I have wanted for a long time. Everyone deals with it in their own way and I don't know that any one way is better than another. But I for one am excited about my neighbor. Am I the perfect neighbor? Well, no. But I do enjoy trying to be better every day.

What does that have to do with Kendall's journey, well I don't know. But when I look at her, knowing what she has to go through and face every day, it helps to give me strength to be the person...the Godly person...that God wants me to be. It helps me be the better person that Kendall may want me to be.

Kendall has one more appointment this week and that is on Friday. She has blood work and a lumbar puncture that afternoon. After that, we plan on driving home for the holidays. Can't wait to see everyone and enjoy your company.

Luke 10:27
He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself."

5 comments:

  1. This report they have given you is excellent news, Randall and I continue to pray for you daily. I am soo excited you will be able to come home for family christmas and for your b'day! We love you and cant wait to see you! I even got a cute scarf and toboggan as my take away gift. I thought of you when i saw it! See you saturday!

    Love you,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning TK,

    Well, I guess Daryl saved up all the good news for a one-time post. You've just made my day!!! What a way to start off today.

    Today's quote...“The survival of the fittest is the ageless law of nature, but the fittest are rarely the strong. The fittest are those endowed with the qualifications for adaptation, the ability to accept the inevitable and conform to the unavoidable, to harmonize with existing or changing conditions.” - Unknown

    This, to me, has been the very definition of the Sutton/Thomas family. If I'm fair, I think there are a lot more families out there who display these characteristics. We just don't see them as publically. Family privacy is a necessity, but there are times we can share our experiences for the greater good of others. I guess I'm saying we should be as proud of our challenges and difficulties as we are our successes, because without hardship how can we overcome? Sad is the dog who refuses to wag his own tail...

    Prayers today for sharing life's experiences, both good and bad, to inspire others. Lord let our witness of you, about you, for you be the betterment of someone today. Thank you for our family and friends, we all need a solid place to start from and come back to. Keep us grounded and provide for our needs. Praising you.

    Lifting you up,
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear that Kendall is able to go home for Christmas and her birthday! I know she is so ready to leave Houston and be Gardendale bound! I want yall to know that I will be thinking about you all during this holiday season! Wish I were there to be a part of it all.... I LOVE YALL!! Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such great news! I know those beautiful eyes are smiling. Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday & Happy New Year!

    Love & Prayers
    Karen Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear all of you will be together for Christmas. We think about you every day. Hope you all have a very wonderful Merry Christmas. Hope to see you thru the holidays.
    Donna Scott & Brooke Wilson

    ReplyDelete