Sunday, November 29, 2009

Holiday Blues

Kendall and I arrived back in Houston on Saturday night. It was after 9pm before we got back to the apartment. Kendall was tired and went straight to bed. I stayed up a little while to try and familiarize myself with the apartment again. I know I haven't been gone too long but still, I wanted to make sure everything was where I had left it. I knew I wouldn't have much of a chance for the next day or so. Kendall had to be at the doctor first thing Saturday morning.

Saturday morning, around 7:30am, I pulled into the parking lot of MD Anderson hospital. I was hoping that we never had to see it again. But Kendall's almost through with only two more treatments to go. We went to the lab for them to draw Kendall's blood. I felt like the results were going to be low and that she was assured to get a blood transfusion. After 2 long hours and the lab having to run the blood twice, I was right. The lab said they ran the blood work again to make sure the numbers were not an error because they were so low. Her platelets were at a 3. Normal range according to the lab are in the 150's. So they whisked us to the transfusion room where we began the long day of Kendall receiving blood. She received 6 units of platelets and 3 units of whole blood. I then watched Kendall slowly rejuvenate as the blood went into her body. Her color began to show, her conversation become longer than yeah or whatever and her appetite increased. I knew she was better when she began asking me to go get her something to eat.

While all of these improvements were being made, her temperature also started to increase. It came very close to that magic number of 101. It actually got to 100.8 for a couple of hours. I started making sure she was drinking more water and it also began to drop. An ER trip was all she needed now. Well, for now we have avoided that. As we were leaving the hospital, she asked if we could go to Burger King to get something to eat. Appetite is good! Very Good! She always does real good when she has an appetite.

So another 14 hour day at the hospital in the books. Kendall sure did break me in quick. No time to settle in or anything. The only thing I need to do is straighten out the stuff at the apartment that Tammy moved on me. I'll have it straight by tomorrow. Not sure of a coming home time yet. Surely over the next week it will lay itself out so we can plan on her next trip home.

I have said it before and I will say it again, patience is a constant struggle with me. I am continually working to improve it. Sometimes God shows us the time table he is working with and it doesn't always have the same time as my watch shows. I continue to go through the bible, looking for ways to deal with somebody else's time table. It's always there, I always find something......it's just up to me to look.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya TK,

    Whew, it sure is good to be back at the grindstone. I really mean that. I am thankful for the time off and the holidays, but habits are a pleasure too.

    Today's quote..."Rise superior to the trials of life." -Sir william Osler

    Living is strife and torment, disappointment and love and sacrifices - along with the beautiful golden sunsets come black storms.

    Prayers for patience, tolerance and understanding. Prayers for limited time at the doctors and unparalleled recovery time. Prayers for energy, stamina and "strut." Lord fill us with your grace and and bestow your mercy. Help us follow your plans and keep us always looking for your approval. Thank you for your perfect love. Lord please provide special graces for Keith's family and friends to help them through their sorrow.

    Lifting you up,
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendall - So sorry about your Dad. We've been praying for you all. We pray for peace & comfort as you deal with the loss - as well as your physical healing & lots of those beautiful smiles. Lots of love, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete