Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Little Debbie is Our Friend

We are approaching the half way point in Kendall's journey. We finished up her chemotherapy this morning around 1am. We now, again, begin the period of blood monitoring. Hard to believe Kendall has already had three rounds of chemo. Not that I will ever know everything about Leukemia, but I often find myself reading about other people that have had Leukemia and their experiences. I compare how different everyones experience has been. I know about medical issues that I never dreamed of having to know about. I don't know what healthy levels for blood is supposed to be. I didn't know how chemotherapy worked. I can say that at least now when the doctor is talking to me, I at least can understand what they are talking about. Scary, huh? And yet, the learning still continues. We are scheduled to meet with some doctors from Stem Cell Transplant next week and start learning about that. Not that Kendall is having that. But the doctor wants us to know about what is involved with it in case we ever have to go that direction. The more we know now, the better we will be able to help the doctor take care of Kendall.

Kendall has been sleeping alot this past week with her chemo. Except at night when I'm having to change the bag or check her lines to make sure they are working. The visits to Kendall's room all through out the night for the past four days have been really hard. Because we usually had to be at the doctor the next day. Sleep deprivation. Kendall has not had any fevers this week. She hasn't been eating as much as I would like her too but she has been eating a little. I haven't been able to get her back to the gym although she did promise to go walking with me. Gotta start somewhere. It's funny, when I leave to go the gym, she always tells me to be careful and don't get hurt. That she is going to stay behind and keep the couch company. And then what's really funny is her laughing at me when I come back from the gym and the first place I go is the cabinet to get myself a Little Debbie snack cake. I tell her its protein. She rolls her eyes at me and says "Whatever".

At night, I lay in the bed wondering about how tomorrow is going to be. Is it going to be the day that Kendall gets a fever...or gets sick...or has a bad day. I play all this through my head for hours and then something reminds me to say a little prayer or read something out of the bible. After that I can finally go to sleep. One of the verses I read the other night was this....


Deuteronomy 1:29-30
Then I said to you, "Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes

5 comments:

  1. ha always got the pantry stocked with little debbies...i can always count on you for a swiss cake roll! :)) I hate that she hasnt felt as good this round but at least yall can look forward to coming home in about 2 weeks. It's weird not makin a visit out there this month, I know yall miss me singing along to every commercial that came on ha. I love yall bunches and hope you have a good rest of the week and weekend! Roll Tide :)
    -Emers-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Hump-Day TK,

    WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO Daryl's, back. In case we haven't mentioned it...Thank you Daryl for sharing the experiences you are having with the rest of us. I can only imagine how much it takes out of you each day to come up with the words to express your feelings, convey the messages of inspiration and hope, and keep us in the loop medically.

    Today's quote..."If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side." - Anon

    Kendall, you're on the downhill slope now, so give it that extra push we all know you have in you. Mario Andretti said once, if everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Stick it out girl and let your inner light shine bright.

    Prayers today for the light at the end of this tunnel to be brilliant, for Kendall to be focused on the goal of health, and for blood counts to be even better than last time. Thank you Jesus for people in our lives who inspire. Thank you for friendships. Keep us all on your path and bring us together in your name. All praise and glory.

    Lifting you up
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  3. just wanted to share this verse with you... i've been doing a bible study based on phil 4:8, which i'm sure you know. "finally brothers, whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think on these things." in the study i have learned to always TRUST the truth. always THINK on the truth. don't trust your feelings or thoughts, but GOD'S word! when your mind starts wandering, and when satan fills your head with lies and worries, think on WHATEVER is true, noble, right, etc! it has helped me to meditate on this verse and remind myself of the truths in scripture.

    oh yeah, just realized this verse has WHATEVER in it and the number 48... i think you've even written on it before. just a reminder to keep your head high. the lord is in control and hears your prayers. hang in there, you are doing more for kendall than you will ever know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be praying for no fever, more energy and that the Little Debbie's do their thing (ha). Will also pray that everything continues to go well and ya'll get to come home as planned. Remind Kendall she has so many people thinking of and praying for her and we are so proud of her. Much love, Chuck & Anne Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your family are very strong. I know how it is to be constantly on guard because of issues regarding chemo. My mother is going through chemo right now. Every day is hard. Some days are worse than others. I do my best to help her pull through those hard days when she's sick and can't get to feeling better. Keep God on your side. He'll carry you through this. I know he's carrying me through it. I couldn't do this without him. I hope Kendall gets better.

    ReplyDelete