Friday, October 9, 2009

Patience, again........

A new record was set today as an out patient for the hospital. Kendall and I arrived at 8am for lab work and to start chemotherapy at 10am. Well...it got started a little late. We got back to the apartment tonight at about 10pm. 14 hours long. That kind of put a whole new meaning to the word patience. What seems to happen on Fridays is that everyone apparently shows up early, whether or not they have an appointment, to get through for the weekend. There were people there at 8am that were telling me that their appointment was not until 3:30, 4:30 or even Saturday, but they wanted to get it over with. So....we waited...for a long time...and some other things happened but...now we are through...until tomorrow. Have to do it all over again. Hopefully it will not be as long tomorrow. I'm just glad we don't have to go while Auburn is playing...

Kendall didn't sleep well last night. She said she couldn't get comfortable. She slept a little while we were at the hospital but I'm sure it wasn't very restful to her. Even though she has been sleeping a lot during the day, she still looks tired. I was able to get her down to the exercise room for a walk on the treadmill yesterday. The doctor said it would be good to get her strength built back up. We'll do it a little at a time until she is able to actually do some jogging or running. You know how much she likes to run. I have to tell her I'll take her to Dairy Queen if she goes for a walk, even if it's on the other side of town.

Kendall still has one more dose of chemo running in a take home bag until about midnight. They said she might start running a fever with this or even have chills or sweating. I will keep a close check on her every hour through the night just to be sure. I can get some sleep tomorrow while she is back at the hospital.

While in the hospital, I was not very patient. I did some reading to help pass the time. I know this verse is describing something other than what I am saying...but it had some meaning behind it that I had to apply to myself today.

Job 33
But if not, then listen to me.
Keep silent and I will teach you wisdom!

2 comments:

  1. Daryl,

    I certainly hope tomorrow is a better...swifter day at the hospital! Praying for Kendall and you to get some much needed rest...physically, mentally, and emotionally.
    Hope she feels well through the night, without fever. You guys are a blessing to me as you share with us in your journey. It seems to make me realize how much I 'sweat the small stuff'. My perspective on life seems to grow more mature daily,(as I age), and especially through this season y'all are in... I also feel a profound spiritual maturation. Your posts have brought MANY things into focus for me and I thank you for this Daryl. I know that Tammy and Dillon must be missing you guys terribly.....they are in my prayers too.

    Blessings to you all,

    Denise Tubbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment on here yesterday, or thought I did. We all know sometimes I'm the biggest ding-dong. So...a day late, but here it is...

    Today's thought..."The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching it, not smashing it."

    Patience is something at which I've never been good. Always wanting my way, right now! I changed some when I got married and then again when I became a mom - but...still not so good at it. LOL

    Prayers today for all good things. May you have rest, a lessening of anxiety and worry, a good week ahead, and the fastest chemo treatment in history. Thanks and all praise and glory to God.

    Lifting you up,
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete