Monday, October 5, 2009

Back to Houston

What can I say? Refreshed! Renewed! Energized! That's how I feel after a few days at home. Kendall is much better now that we have completed a successful trip home. We flew into Birmingham on Wednesday afternoon and spend the next 5 nights soaking up as much as we could. The weekend was filled with many many visitors and we enjoyed all of you. Kendall enjoyed all of you.

Where to begin. Arriving home for the first time in almost two months was exciting. I forgot where everything was. Tammy's brother, Ronnie, picked us up at the airport. Our first stop was to Tammy's mother and daddy's house. They had fixed spaghetti for lunch and we all were hungry. This is where all the crying begins. The first of many crying sessions for the home reunion. We visited there for a while and then it was off to the house. Our neighbors had decorated the yard with balloons and signs and it was a very warm welcome home. We were met with screams, hugs and tears all the way around. It was amazing. Thank you! Kendall's friends and family members slowly made their way to the house to welcome her home. We couldn't wait to see all the kids. Our little family was having a reunion.

The first night we were able to sleep in our bed, I sort of felt like I was a stranger. I have been away so long it felt different. But it didn't take long to feel at home. Life seemed to pick up where it left off. I awoke the next morning to help Dylan get ready for school and to get ready myself to go to work. Had this all been an awful dream. Was someone playing a trick on us. I quickly realized that it was not a dream as I saw Kendall's folder on the dresser. I have a folder that keeps up with all of her medical records, doctors appointments and names to MD Anderson Hospital. I began to look through it to remind myself of what we have to do next.

The next couple of days seemed to go by really fast. I hope that's a good sign that we are going to fly through the next round of treatment.

We all went to church Sunday and no, Kendall did not wear her wig. She now says that hair gets in her way. Or that she doesn't look right with hair. The service and all the singing was so inspiring and helped all of us get a better grip on this journey. I felt so much better about my changes after listening to Pastor Kevin preach. He made me feel like I'm on the right path and to keep going.

So here we are, me and Kendall, in Houston. Tammy stayed at home this time to take care of things there. I'm going to be with Kendall through this next treatment and then we will see where we go from there. We met with the doctor tomorrow and will get Kendall's schedule for the next month. Hopefully we can start to come home at the end of her next treatments. Coming home every 2-3 weeks instead of every 2 months is a much better idea. We will continue to pray and do what's best for Kendall.

Being at home, I had a chance to catch up on our life that was suddenly interrupted. Things that I always say I'm going to do, or I'll do it tomorrow. Spend time with my family and friends. Telling them that I love them and I'll miss them when I'm gone. Apologizing for the things that I have done. And most important...taking time for God.

Proverbs 6:4
Don't put it off, Do it now! Don't rest until you do.

5 comments:

  1. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdOctober 6, 2009 at 8:18 AM

    Oh how wonderful to see all of you again, and be able to spend some one-on-one time talking, laughing and hugging! We are so thankful that Kendall was able to come home for a short while, and that she didn't get a fever or feel really bad while here. We saw how much she enjoyed everyone, family and friends, and hope those memories will help to carry her through any "down" times she will have this coming month. We will miss her, and you Daryl, this next month, but will be remembering moments of joy this past few days ourselves to help us get through this next month as well. We'll miss seeing the little guy everyday - I'm probably going to have withdrawal symptoms from hearing, "granny, ..., granny, ..." I'm sure we will be visiting Tammy and him pretty regular over this next month. We know this next month is going to be hard for Tammy too, being separated from you guys, but we continue to pray for strength and patience for all of you during this journey.

    We love all of you bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning TK,

    Back to the grindstone!!! I feel so much better after having seen you all - I'm sure you were sad to leave, but oh can we rejoice over the time spent at home.

    Today's quote..."This ain't fun. But you watch me, I'll get it done." -Jackie Robinson

    Buckle down for the next round. Prayers for stamina, swagger, strength and steadfastness. May you and yours progress through the remainder of this journey as you have the first leg...We ARE watching and being amazed each day. I believe part of the PLAN is for the rest of us to see and be changed by watching you. Thank you Lord for what we have, what we know and what we do and what we know. Thank you for our faith and hope, that which keeps us going and thank you for inspirational people who become our heros.

    Lifting you up
    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    PS. Daryl and Kendall - we miss you already!!!!

    Tammy, we're so glad your just a short walk away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you all in church on Sunday. Kendall was beautiful! You are right Daryl, I felt like his sermon was for your family. Stay strong and pray and we will be doing the same here. God is right there with you - paving the way.

    Love,
    Kim Mulford

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a great visit - before you know it you'll be coming home to stay. We will continue to do our job here - PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. God will carry you through this next treatment and all the way to the finish line. We love you lots, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daryl, Please give my thoughts and prayers to both Tammy and Kendall, As you were speaking of your homecoming and what a warm welcome you all received, it made me think of heaven and what a welcoming we as believers will be receive. We were out of town visiting our daughter this past weekend, so we were not at Church, but I am sure it was refreshing as always, I am so glad we are part of a bigger family in Christ than we are as an eartly family,, We could not make it without our Lord. God Bless you all, I will continue to lift you up. Regina

    ReplyDelete