Thursday, August 27, 2009

AML

What does AML really mean. Acute Myeloid Leukemia. That's the medical term they use but how on earth can you decipher that. I've been doing doing alot of reading up on this subject and none of it is easy. None of it makes me happy. Especially when part of the diagnosis is t8;21. That too often reminds me of my birthday, August 21. So we fight through it, picking up a little more knowledge of this disease as we go along. Every day I understand it more than the day before. I don't know if that's a good thing. I think I would rather still be in the dark on this subject....

...Kendall had a few doctors visits today including more blood work and another Lumbar Puncture and chemotherapy treatment. Her blood levels were better and worse than they were yesterday. How can they be both. I could try and explain it but I would not do it justice so I'll just settle for it was both. Kendall was told she needed more platelets today before the procedure. They took her back and we saw Adrian waiting for us. Adrian is one of the Physicians Assistants that has worked on Kendall before. He really explains things well for us. We were glad to see a familiar face back there. Then I began thinking that if we now know the names of medical people that are working on Kendall, that we must really be spending alot of time at the hospital. I think I asked Adrian a million questions today. He was probably glad to get away from me. But now that I know a little more about Leukemia, I seem to know more questions to ask about.

We went to the apartment right after and Kendall went to sleep. She has been in a little more pain today than normal. I finished up some paperwork for the hospital and Tammy read some out of a book. Not much excitement went on today. While Kendall was asleep, I did get a chance to go workout at the apartment gym. Not alot of variety but I haven't been to the gym in about a month. There are two guys I work with that probably think they are going to catch up to me. Cotton....Baker....you guy's better stay after it because I only have one number for you....405.

Kendall was up around 8:00pm and did eat some dinner. Her energy level also picked up a little but not much. Rest will probably do her a lot of good. She can sleep late tomorrow because the doctor visits won't start until 11:00am. I think we will watch another movie tonight before we go to bed and enjoy Kendall's mood for awhile.

As far as the meaning of AML. Acute Myeloid Leukemia is one definition of the word and that just sounds so bad. Even though it is what it is, I'm going to look at it from a different point of view. " Another Miracle Lord" is what Kendall needs, is what her family and friends need and Lord it's what I need......

14 comments:

  1. Wish we were there to watch the movie with you...give Tammy and Kendall and yourself a hug for me...love you all...michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are in my prayers... I got my
    TEAM KENDALL "MAN" bracelot today...

    Dru Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday Team Kendall,

    I find sometimes that words of encouragement and hope seem hollow when I read them back. I wish I could write so that you could feel it, like a big, warm, strong hug or eye-contact with "the look" that can mean so much. So many people want to DO something tangible and for many sharing this blog is it. Take the strength of so many who are offering and replenish yourselves.

    Today's thought..."If you take each challenge on step at a time, with faith in every footstep, your strength and understanding will increase." -James E. Faust

    My prayer today is one I found by Gordon Hinckley..."Increase our faith to bridge the chasms of uncertainty and doubt. Grant us faith to look beyond the problems of the moment to the miracles of the future. Givs us faith to do what is right and let the consequence follow."

    Lifting you up...
    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  4. another miracle lord.
    what a great prayer. be encouraged... the lord your god is with you. he is mighty to save!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendall - We want you to know that we are here praying for you - you can't see us, but please know that we are ALWAYS here praying these things for you: healing, patience, comfort, peace, energy, no pain, happiness, and so much more. You are doing great, just hang in there and remember that not only are so many people praying for you, GOD is always there with you. Much love, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daryl,Tammy and Kendall
    Just know that you are all being lifted up in prayer each and every day. I pray that God gives you the strength you need to meet each new day. Daryl - we miss seeing you at the office, but feel close to you through the blog. Continue to keep us posted. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darryl, Tammy, and Kendall,
    The miracle will come in God's time. Until then hang in there and remember how much we love you all and are praying for you. Hope you all have a great weekend.
    Love, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  8. "ANOTHER MIRACLE LORD" - WHAT AN AWESOME INTERPRETATION OF THAT ANACRONYM. BROTHER, TAMMY, KENDALL, EVERYONE, I AM WITH YOU ALL. TEAM KENDALL OF KNOXVILLE IS WITH YOU ALL. HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD DAY. THINKING OF YOU, BROTHER DAVID

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that each day brings new and different challenges, but your family unit is so strong, and with God on your side, you will be home before you know it! I LOVE YALL and wish I could be there for you, helping in any way that I can! YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey babe,
    As always it is so good to hear your voice! My prayers feel like deja vu, I have prayed the same prayer for over a year and a half. My prayer is for a miracle and He does always answer. Unfortunately, it is not always as as soon as we would like. Sometimes in order to receive our miracles we have to wither the storm. I know this does not always help when we are in the middle of the storm but, we must remember storms do not last forever. Just remember when you think you can not stand it any more think about your Dad, he is the prime example of God's miracles. If there was any way I could trade places with you I would. I will continue to pray for you to have peace, strength, courage and comfort from God. Until tomorrow, enjoy your movie,scrap booking and get a good night sleep. I am counting down the days until we are there with you. Hugs and kisses.
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got in from the Hoover-Gardendale game and it was not pretty. Saw your Aunt Stacy and Mark. You guys were on my mind so I checked the blog. Daryl, here is a good easy source to read about AML. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_1x_What_Is_Acute_Myeloid_Leukemia.asp

    Here is another site that is pretty easy to read. http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page.adp?item_id=8459


    When you get that one figured out, here is a link from the National Institue of Health that is a little more tough to read and understand.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000542.htm

    Remember, be strong and courageous, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9)

    May the Lord Bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you and be gracious to you.

    Brian, Tammy and Lauren Hall

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Kendall, Tammy and Daryl... Just caught up on two days of blogs. Daryl, you're doing such a great job keeping everyone updated on Kendall. Thank you!

    Working for Blue Cross, I was familiar with CML (Chronic Myeloid Leukemia), but I've been learning about AML right along with you... from day 1, when Granny Lyn told me the diagnosis, I was hitting the internet looking it up. Daryl, I like your name for it so much better, too.

    You three are all in my prayers... for healing for Kendall, peace and patience for all three of you, and most of all, for God's loving arms to wrap around you while you're on this journey. And I have to add, patience for me... I keep asking God for all these things for you, and I'm having to tell myself - God's time, not my time. And because you are sharing your journey, we all are growing in God.

    I hope you have a good night's sleep tonight and a restful weekend for all of you. God's peace to you all.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just wanted to let u all know that i am praying for you all and i love u!

    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present you requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

    ReplyDelete
  14. btw, this is chrissie racca harmon:)

    ReplyDelete