Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Step Forward

Blood draws, test results and a whole bunch of new faces. As we pass the last of chemotherapy in Kendall's treatment, I must say now, looking back, we are actually on that roller coaster ride that was talked about in our last group meeting. Though we get over this one hill, I see numerous more approaching and they are approaching fast. I do want to say how relieved we are to have Kendall discharged from the hospital. I know that all of us will probably rest better knowing that we have finished this first hurdle. Kendall is so happy and the smile she has is so brite. I don't want anything to take it away from her. ...

....The doctor came in this morning and said that things are where they are supposed to be and that they see no reason to keep Kendall in the hospital any longer. They gave us a list of things that need to be done once we leave. The biggest concern is Kendall catching an infection. We have to be so careful not to expose her to anything that could harm her...germs! How do you tell a 19 year old college student, who has an abundance of loving family and friends that want to see her, that everything she does or every person she sees for the next several weeks could potentially harm her. How do you protect someone like that. Here is where all that "tactical" training, sorry Chief, that I have received over the years comes in to play. Germs are the enemy and I'm here to wipe them out. Short of buying hand sanitizer and cleaning products, I will make the apartment Kendall's safe zone. She won't have to worry about anything in the apartment, right! Who am I kidding, of course she is. The hospital gave us a strict set of rules that we need to follow and we will. This goes for the inside the apartment or outside in the big open spaces of Texas. Masks are our friends. We all at one time or another will be wearing them. It won't be easy but we will learn to deal with it.

Kendall sat on the couch tonight spending a lot of time talking to Tammy. Nothing bad just girl talk, I guess. She was also texting and emailing her friends. It was good to see the two of them relaxed a little bit and enjoying each others company outside the hospital. We also got to talk to Dylan and my parents on the web cam for a little while. Dylan is excited about coming out here this weekend. Whitney, Emily and Chase will be here as well. I hope it is a good weekend for Kendall. The doctor said that Kendall could possibly have her worse symptoms a few days after the treatment has stopped. Either way it will be good to see Dylan, I miss him. He has had a rough time as well and I pray that I can comfort him a little more when I see him.

I don't want to take away the excitement of the day for Kendall being discharged from the hospital, so I'm going to close here. I have some new pics that I will post tomorrow of Kendall leaving the hospital.




Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

15 comments:

  1. Good news! I know that everyone that loves Kendall will not mind the mask. Just seeing her in a more comfortable surrounding will ease everyone a bit. I continue to offer prayers for EVERYONE, not just Kendall. I know this roller coaster ride is longer than anyone wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl...thanks for letting us know what's going on in TX. I feel like I am there. We pray for you, Tammy, Kendall and the family every time we go by your house. Just remember we are "praying you through" this roller coaster. With much love and prayers. Carla Howell Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so exciting to know that Kendall is at "home" with you and Tammy. Lauren and I check her blog daily. As Carla said "We are praying you through this roller coaster". We are waiting on the next set of bracelets to come in so we can have a Team Kendall bracelet. Prayers to you all.
    Joan Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl, We were so excited when Sierra saw that you were at the apartment on your facebook. As usual everyone is in bed except me.I read the blog each night before I go to bed to try and keep up with what's happening with you. I pray that you will rest better there without all those evil nurses coming in to wake you up for vitals and blood draws. I hope you have peaceful sleep remembering how many people are praying for you many times daily. We love you and look forward to seeing more pictures of your beautiful smiling face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not know Kendall, but I am getting to know her and feel like I am there with all of you through this blog. I pray for all of you and know that your love for God and each other will see you through this time. My children are Kendall's age and this hits so close to home for me. Daryl and Tammy, you are stronger than you know. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey kendall, glad to hear that you are doing well and getting out of the hospital. i am not surprised to hear that you are still smiling, you usually are. taylor went off to college yesterday and it was really weird not having her around last night. it really sunk in this morning when i opened the garage door to go to work and her car was not there. but she is a "big girl" now and i guess that no matter how much kim and i want to keep her grounded we have to let her fly.keep your spirits up and continue to battle this thing with all you have. looking forward to seeing you again. daryl, how strange that the verse that is on this update PROVERBS 3-5:6 is the same verse that i was thinking about for you guys yesterday. that has alwats been one of my favorite verses and we even had that on taylors wall when she was little. so just continue to trust in him and he will lead all of you through this battle. GOD BLESS jeff p.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM

    Good morning sweet Kendall, and smiling Daryl and Tammy! It was so good to see and talk to you guys last night on the webcam! We are so glad you guys got to move Kendall to the apartment. Dylan was so happy to see all of you. Even when we finally closed the computer down, he still wanted to talk, and talk, and talk. He is excited about coming out there, and we made a list of things for him to pack, including some of "my dad's" favorite PS2 games (I suspect they are his favorite games as well, because he is certainly a mirrored image of his dad!). He was still a chatter box this morning as well, and I could tell he was a pretty even match for Nicolette as they waited for the bus this morning!

    We do hope and pray that all of you can get some of that much needed uninterrupted rest time. Just remember how much we love all of you and look forward to seeing you soon.

    Love all of you bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Kendall,
    Just wanted you to know that for some reason
    the song "He's got The Whole World in His Hands" keeps popping up in my head this morning. I know that God has you in the palm
    of his hand and will keep you safe and strong
    during this journey. Looking forward to Daryl
    posting more pictures and hope you will be
    able to rest alot more now that you are in the
    apt. Daryl and Tammy, love one another,stay
    strong and know that family stands behind you.
    I love you all,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'morn Team Kendall,

    I got the news last night that Kendall was an apartment dweller when Lyn came over to bring us some homegrown veggies. So last night's prayers were thank you, instead of please. As I am thinking about the past 10 days or so, I find a pattern in both Daryl's posts and all the comments from your entourage....Kendall's smile.

    Today's quote - "Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing." - Mother Teresa

    I know the gift of smile is huge today!!!

    As you guys move to the next phase, my prayers for you are a sense of accomplishment, an "I can do it" attitude, renewed energy and determination, and the continuation of a strong base from which to draw your faith, your passion, your love and your fortitude.

    Love and prayers...

    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news - so glad to hear ya'll are ALL out of the hospital & in the apartment. It will be nice to enjoy each other in the "home" environment for a change. I know you are excited to see the friends & family coming out this weekend. I pray that all is perfect - I pray you feel great & I pray safety for those traveling. Much love, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news to hear you are at the apartment and hoping it seems really great compared to the hospital....... I know you will have a good time seeing everyone this weekend. Let me know if you have any needs that I can send w/Whit. Just have an awesome time and stay strong. Whatever.!. Love. Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah!! I am so glad to hear you are at the apartment now. Maybe everyone will be more relaxed and hopefully more rested. I got my bracelet yesterday from Candice...I think of you and all of your family always.. Hope Dylan is doing ok and loving school. Read the blog everyday.. Love to all of you, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kendall,

    I am so glad you are getting out of there. Rest up... I know you are excited to see Chase and everyone else! We are praying for you everyday. Love you!
    Blake and Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey babe,
    As always it is great to hear your voice,I miss you so much! My prayer tonight will be for you to have a more restful night than the past one. Hopefully in time your legs will get used to walking more and not suffer the consequence. May God continue to give you the strength you need to conquer this leukemia. He is the powerful healing, restorer and the one that gives us peace. God speed with your treatment and blood work tomorrow. Good night and rest well. My prayers and thoughts are with you always.
    Kisses and hugs
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just wanted you to know you are in our constant prayers! We hope you are able to get some rest to help renew your strength! Enjoy your visitors this weekend! Continue to look to God for the strength to conquer this awful disease. Keep smiling and remember you have many people who love and care about you!!! Daren & Jennifer B.

    ReplyDelete