Sunday, August 23, 2009

Timing, it's all about timing!

Where do I begin? There has been so much to happen this weekend, I can't believe it's almost over. We started out Saturday morning with a scheduled trip to the hospital. Kendall wanted to Chase to go to help answer some of the questions that he has been asking. I told Chase that the hospital trip would be long and boring but I knew there was no way we were going without him. They had to check Kendall's blood levels. They were as expected, LOW. There was a lot of people there and it took several hours to just get the results. There were a couple of issues that the doctor said needed some attention and that would be our goal the rest of the day. We went back to the apartment to be greeted by Whitney, Emily, Michelle and Dylan. The day went much as expected. We broke out the Wii for a little while. Then we got tired so we watched a movie. Followed up by more games. The kids found out that there was a Buffalo Wild Wings down here so that was on the agenda for lunch. Kendall of course couldn't go so they brought every thing back and we had our own party in the apartment. The Houston Texans were also playing last night and there was alot of traffic and people out. The stadium is only a couple of blocks from where we are staying and I almost considered taking Dylan to a game. But we decided to go swimming instead. Me and Dylan went to the pool while the rest of them stayed inside. We swam for about an hour and then Dylan became hungry. We went back to the apartment to eat with everybody. Tammy was cooking spaghetti while Kendall and Emily were taking a nap. The rest of them went out to find a Texas Longhorn shirt.We all carried on into the night and before we knew it, it was after 11:00pm. I think everyone was tired from a long but very positive day for Kendall. She was so excited and glowing to see some of her family and friends. I didn't want to go to sleep for fear that when I wake up it was going to be a sad today because everyone had to go home. I wondered how Kendall was going to be after everyone was gone and she was left with me and Tammy. But we will face that tomorrow.......

.......I woke up early today, around 6:00am and everyone was still asleep. I watched the tv for a little while and then decided to go check on Kendall. I went in her room to check her temperature, which I do about 4-5 times a day, and she was running a fever. It was over the limit that they told us to watch out for. I told Kendall to get dressed, that we had to go to the emergency room. I woke up Tammy to tell her that we needed to take Kendall back to hospital because of she was running a fever. So instead of eating breakfast with everyone and giving them a proper send off back to Birmingham, we were headed to the ER....

...The ER took us back really quick and put Kendall in a room. Nurses began coming by and drawing blood and taking her temperature. Just like old times. Didn't we just leave all of this? We stayed there patiently until one of the doctors told us they were going to admit Kendall to the hospital to run some more tests. By now, the gang has arrived and are in the waiting room. I went down to tell them the news and to let a couple of them come up to say goodbye. I stayed with Dylan in the waiting room as they all made their way up to see Kendall. Dylan has been good all weekend and now he starts to get upset. This wasn't exactly the goodbye I had in mind. Dylan began to cry and told me that he loved me. He then asked when was he going to see me again. I didn't know what to say. I started to cry and told him that it wouldn't be long. We would be home real soon. I told him not to be upset and that it will be alright. I again received a hug identical to the hug I got when they first came to the apartment. I hugged everybody else and thanked them for coming and told them that it meant alot to Kendall for them to come. Tammy then walked them out to the car to say her goodbye....

...I went back to Kendall's room only to find her laughing with Chase like nothing at all was going on. Once again she has shown that she is determined to not let any situation bring her down. Chase stayed with her until it was his time to leave. I took him to the airport around 2:00pm. We talked about Kendall, of course, and about her treatment. I did comment on his attire today. He was wearing a Texas Longhorn shirt and ball cap. I told him that was odd, knowing what a big Alabama fan he is and then I thought, maybe there's hope in converting him to the Auburn side. When We get back, I think I'll take him and Kendall to an Auburn game. Maybe that will be enough.

Well now we are at the hospital, admitted to a room. Kendall's fever is down a little bit still to high. Hasn't lost her appetite and says she feels good. We will wait it out and find out what the doctor has to say about it tomorrow. Maybe we can go back to the apartment in a day or so. Her blood counts are still down really low and they are giving her some blood. Everything looks better in the morning, well I hope it does. It sure didn't look good this morning.

Thank you for the cards that we have been receiving. Kendall thanks you as well. It still is amazing the love shown by our God and by our family and friends during this time in Kendall's journey. This would not be possible without all of you.



I found another scripture tonight that I would like to share. As I was reading it, I began to think how many times could I have placed this scripture in a situation that I was facing. Trusting the Lord, that's what this is all about. I have been active, off and on in the church my entire life. I was saved in my senior year of high school and was baptised at my church several years ago at Gardendale First Baptist Church. All of this that I have done, but have I really been listening to what I have been reading about. I believe in God and know that he has a plan for everyone out there. He has given us a path to take and it is up to us to take it. I personally want to go the path with God at my side. I know Kendall has chosen this path as well.

Isaiah 42:16
"I will lead the blind by a road they do not know, by paths they have not known I will guide them, I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I will do, I will not forsake them."

16 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that Kendall is back in the hospital, but thankful she got to spend all day yesterday with her visitors. We had a Sunday School teachers meeting tonight at church and I saw Kendall's name on the Adult Sunday School Class's Prayer list. Kendall has thousands of people praying for her daily. We know that His word tells us "that where 2 or more are gathered in His name, there He is also." We are praying for you all.
    Joan Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, Daryl & Kendall,
    I am so glad we got to come out and visit. It was a much needed trip for everyone, especially Dylan. We got to enjoy each other like there wasn't a care in the world, the same as it would have been if we would have been at your house. The weekend went by way to fast. Won't be too long and we will be right back out there, but NOT driving.

    Don't worry about Dylan this week. Bragan is coming over to help with dinner week till she goes back to work. Dylan will have me, Chad, Bragan & Brett at the house just about every night this week. I'm sure this will help him alot.

    I LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH and know that this is very hard for you not to be there for everyone. Right now you need to take care of Kendall & yourselves. (I think we can hold the fort down till you get back home)

    LOVE
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that it was difficult saying "goodbye" to Dylan and everyone else, but I know Kendall is receiving great care between the doctors and you and Tammy. I am sure that it was a major boost for Kendall to get to spend time with everyone, and I know she will stay strong. She is a strong individual, and with treatment, she is going to come out of this just fine! She was added to my grandmother's church prayer list last sunday, and I know God will be there for you all! Give Kendall a huge hug for me and tell there that I love her!!! Love Yall ~ Traci

    ReplyDelete
  4. kendall this weekend was great but short lived...as they all will be i feel like we had just hugged and said hello as we were saying goodbye. But i know that in just a couple of weeks ill be back out there to laugh and cut up as we always do! well i miss you ken and love you so very much

    love bubs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still praying for Kendall and your whole family. Glad to hear Saturday was a good day spent with family and friends... I'm sure this offered great encouragement for weary spirits! Sorry to hear that Kendall is back in the hospital though. Will continue praying for a quick recovery and that she will be discharged soon! I love the verse you posted at the bottom of this post. Hold fast to the hope that you have in Christ Jesus! He has a great plan for Kendall. May you feel his peace and strength during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great seeing you all this weekend. I had a great time and I'm glad I went, even though the car trip about killed us all...well except Dylan because he slept most of the time : ) Daryl and Tammy, you two are some of the best parents anyone could have, and I mean that! You love all your kids with all of your heart and will do anything for them and always put them first. I only hope that I am there for Tenley the way you are for your kids. I admire both of you for being so strong in this difficult time...I got to see first hand what you guys do everyday and I pray that you continue to be as strong as you are now. With God, all things are possible. He will never leave or forsake you...I love you all and I'm sure we will be "flying" to see you soon! Love you Kendall and try to stay of the hospital for at least more than a week next time.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 24, 2009 at 8:41 AM

    Well, it's Monday morning, and the weekend is over - however, I'm sure the memories of fun and laughter will continue to boost all of you in the days ahead. We continue to pray for all of you for strength and perserverence to do all that the docs there tell you, and continued healing, and to trust in our God to guide us and comfort us.

    Just remember how much we love all of you, and know that Dylan will be in good hands until we return back home from our time away. We hope to get to come see you Kendall, Daryl and Tammy, but will wait to see how things go at the hospital. We'll be in touch by phone over the next day or two.

    And to Dylan, hand tough buddy! You have lots of people who love you so much and want to take care of you. We'll be home the end of the week, hopefully in time to go to the football game with you on Friday!

    Love you guys bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want you to know how much you are loved and there are many prayer warriors in your corner. I only wish I was able to come out there too. I read whitney's blog and was excited for her as well as for you. I talked to Deb last nite and she said Whit had called and they were about na hour away safe but tired. Love you, Grandadddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Team Kendall - Happy Monday,

    Dylan happily showed me pictures on his cell phone this morning while waiting on the bus. He was so proud that he got to see you guys and it seemed to give him a boost...

    It sounds like Whit and Bragan have the week all planned out...will check with them to see if there is anything we can do on this side.

    It sounds like there was a little set back you guys are dealing with. But thankfully, Kendall, according to Daryl's Daily, is in good spirits.

    Quote for the day..."Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it." -John Maxwell

    To me, this sums up the attitudes you guys have shown from the beginning...the power of positive thinking. God is again smiling down on you for you are truly lighting the path to him for so many who are watching.

    Prayers today are in thanksgiving for the much needed visit of loved ones, the restorative energy and strength gained, the renewed determination to fight and the blessings flowing down from heaven. Thank you God for all your miracles, those we pray for, those you give us freely, and those we don't even know about.

    Lifting you up,

    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you guys had a great weekend. I know it went way too fast. Tammy and Daryl thank you for taking care of Chase and getting him to and from the airport. I could tell coming home and leaving Kendall was tough I could read it all over his face when we picked him up. But I know it was good for both of them. He talked our ears off all the way home about all these medical terms and blood cells and white counts and have to say I am very impressed. He was talking way over my head. Maybe he will find what he wants to do through all this,he actually does research and really takes the time to READ. All he has ever said was that he wanted to do was play ball. I mean we do know mircles happen. Anyway he has already ask me to book him another flight, he thinks he will be off labor day weekend. I didn't promise but i did look at flights last night cause if I know, Kendall you would have that big smile on your face and the laughs that I know comes behind it, it is worth my worry. So it won't be long til he comes again and Im sure more of your family. You are loved very much.
    God has told us in John 14:13 Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be Glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in MY name, I will do it. Well you have so many people asking for a complete healing in Jesus's name so your healing is coming. But we also know that it is God's time not ours. So until then you stay strong and know how much you are loved and prayed for. You will be home soon.

    With love and Prayers,
    Ms. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey hey Its monday here. I was so glad to read that Kendall got visitors.I know that is special. and also Happy Birthday Daryl.God Please Bless Them this week. love always Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad everyone had a good visit - I know how great it must have been to have family and friends around you again. I hope you all can feel that same love coming to you daily from all of us here through our prayers and messages. You are all loved so very much. This hospital stay will soon pass and you'll be back in the apartment getting somewhat of a schedule again. We continue our prayers for healing (physical and emotional). Love to all, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kendall, Tammy and Daryl know that North Gardendale Baptist Church is lifting you all up in prayer. Kendall "The joy of the Lord is your strength" Nehemiah 8:10 Stay strong!
    The Jones'
    Ken, Karen, Josh & Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good evening team Kendall!
    My name is Scott and I am friends with Dave Sutton, Daryl's brother, and he made me aware of Kendall's journey to Texas to win a victory over Leukemia. My best friend of many years fought this same battle, his with very short diagnosis, so it can be beat with strength in family, friends, will power, and most importantly, inner strength! Just when you think you can't take anymore, you have to dig down, get mean, and try again! Never quit trying! This I say, cause it can be done. Keep your spirits high, my thoughts and prayers go out to you brave one's. Take care.
    Team Kendall Knoxville

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kendall, Tammy and Daryl,
    Sending my love to each of you daily.
    Stay strong in your faith.

    Love to all,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey babe,
    Just a short note, after talking with you tonight I just had to let you know again how much your Dad and I love and miss you so much. It want be long till we are there with you. This has been the longest journey for us since we are not able to be with you. I am so grateful you had a great weekend with everyone. I know how much friends and family can lift your spirits when you are dealing with cancer. YOU are so blessed to have all these people praying for your recovery. I have not been able to delete Pastor Kevin's prayer from our phone (I listen to it daily). Just continue to know you are lifted up and God answers prayers. Any time you wonder why just remember we asked the same question about your Dad and remember He blessed him with recovery. God is so almighty good and He will bless you with the same recovery. Until tomorrow get so needed rest. My prayer tonight will be for you to stay fever free and can be released tomorrow. We love you with all our hearts.
    Kisses and hugs
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete