Monday, August 17, 2009

Phillipians 4:13

I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me! I constantly remind myself of this every day. Every day I feel the weight pressing down on me and I keep pressing it up. I press back to the point where I think I can handle it ....and I drop it. I reach to pick it back up and it's twice as heavy as it was before. How much do we really know about Leukemia? Can this really change people's life as it has ours. Can it be worse? Can it be better? I don't know a right way or a wrong way to answers these questions but I know that God is in charge and he has lead us here to Houston for a reason.....

.....Today was the day we were supposed to take Kendall out of the hospital. I arrived at the hospital carrying empty bags to load up all of Kendall's belongings. The doctors made their rounds a little bit early today. I'm thinking every thing is going great and we might even get out of here earlier than expected. Well....that wasn't the case. They said they wanted to give Kendall another round of chemotherapy and monitor her overnight. I braced myself, because I know Kendall, and I knew that something was about to get broke. But instead, Kendall starred and the doctors and said "ok". Wow! That did not go as I expected it to either. They discussed their plans with us and said they would see us in the morning. Kendall was very calm but I could tell that she was not happy....

...Kendall was due to have chemotherapy around lunch time so we decided to go for a walk. We went down to the lobby and then back outside to our park bench. We sat there for almost an hour talking. She looked more relaxed once we were outside, I just hoped that we could stay outside a little longer. But we had to go back to the room for the last treatment.

Back in the room, they came to give Kendall chemotherapy, so me and Tammy went to a group meeting consisting of several other patients and family members from the 6th floor as well as a couple of nurses. We had a chance to meet other people that have or are experiencing the same thing we are going through with Kendall. We also had a chance to ask questions to other nurses about treatment and such. I want to start off by saying that this was a very tough time to get through. It wasn't required or anything, but did make me more aware of how powerful Leukemia is. Powerful in that not only does it consume the lives of the patients and I'm very sorry that anyone should have to go through this, but also consumes the lives of family and friends. I almost had to leave because I didn't want to hear it. Tammy told me later that she almost left as well. I think this was the time that we both grabbed the other ones hand and held on tight. We both knew that this is something we needed to hear. We were the only ones that are "knew" to Leukemia. The others in the room have experienced it for quite some time. One quote from someone in the class was "this is like a long roller coaster ride and I want off!" Others were saying how long their hospital stay has been, months at a time. Some of them have had frightening, near death experiences while some of them were having no trouble at all with their treatment. All I could think about was Kendall. I wondered what kind of ride we are going to have. Then I thought about Tammy, the girls, Dylan, family and friends and then the other people that this has affected. We are not the only ones that are going through this or that have been down this road. How did we get to this point. We are so thankful to our family and friends that call or write, and check on Kendall, of course, but me and Tammy as well. Or to check on other family members. Some of these patients down here have nobody to help them. We owe everything to God. God has placed you, all of you, in Kendalls path to help show us the way.

As we three sat in the room tonight, we were all quiet. I can't help but to stare at Kendall and then at Tammy, not knowing what lays ahead for Kendall. ......

......Tammy has went to the apartment, Kendall is laying here asleep and I sit here thinking of a prayer....will you pray with me?

The Lords Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,

the power and the glory,

for ever and ever.

Amen

18 comments:

  1. I can't help but think of all the times i've said this prayer with kendall before softball games. But this is the first time it's ever made me cry. But that's probably because this is the first time i've concentrated on the meaning of every word and prayed it harder than ever. Kendall, i love you and i'm sure you already know this but you're so lucky to have a family who cares for you so much, especially a step-dad like Daryl. oh and I really want to donate blood because i have O- so let me know the details whenever you find out! i also found this bible verse and thought it was cool because its got your number in it: Psalm 48:14 "for this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end."

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Catholic Mass, in-between the Our Father and the "Glory Be", the priest recites

    "Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. Please keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming our our Savior, Jesus Christ."

    "...protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope..." are words that have especially helped me through much, including my bout with lymphoma. Occasionally I almost feel their comfort washing over me as His grace helps rinse off my worries & angst.

    Godspeed, again. I pray that you are feeling the comfort of His loving arms during these challenging times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take each day as one by one, knowing how much we love you and that God has you in his arms. Emily can't wait to give you hug from all of us this weekend. thinking of ya'll always.
    love Jamie & Roger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning from Team Kendall in Knoxville! You are all in our prayers and hopefully Kendall will get to go to the apartment today. Wish I could be there with you all. Just know that I am thinking of you. Please give Kendall a big hug for me. Love you all! Brother David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 18, 2009 at 7:35 AM

    Good morning to you, Kendall, Daryl and Tammy! As the sun hides behind some slightly dark overcast clouds here in Gardendale, it feels like rain is about to start falling all around. I can't help but compare this weather to my feelings about this disease that has attacked our sweet Kendall, and ultimately affected all of us, as you so eloquently wrote about, Daryl. The dark clouds make us sad, but there is a purpose - God's purpose. We need the rain, to give life, and just as sure as the sun will appear again, so we hope and pray for the healing of Kendall. We all just have to go along this journey a day at a time, and weather the bumps, hills, peaks and valleys together.

    Remember how much we love all of you. And Daryl, my sweet son, I pray that same Lord's Prayer many times each day, and it does give me comfort. I pray it will comfort all of you as well.

    Love you bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn (momma) and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that all of you will feel better today when Kendall gets to go to the apartment. Remember that we love you and there are thousands of people praying you through this. And, Kendall, I LOVE the hair!
    Love, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Tuesday Team Kendall,

    First, let's get the yesterday's disappointment out of the way. We are thankful and blessed that there is an MD Anderson and its wonderful and educated staff for people in crisis to go, learn and heal. Breathe deep and settle into God's plan for total healing.

    I'm so impressed and inspired reading Daryl's account of this journey. I've looked up bunches of quotes and sayings to be ready for whatever...motivation, attitude, healing, comfort...trying to provide a boost when you guys need it. But everyday, it seems, Kendall beats me to it. I close my eyes and picture her in the hospital room, with a blurry, shadowy figure standing beside her, his hand on her shoulder...GOD, and Kendall answers "Ok." Perfect obedience to God's will.
    You continue to amaze me.

    So the attitude quote I had picked out for today is replaced...

    "It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

    Prayers today for patience to continue on the road to recovery, with every bump, stone and valley crossed - that you have a clear vision for God's plan, the knowledge to recognize challenges as opportunities rather than obstacles, the energy to fight, and the peace and comfort to maintain yourselves.

    Lifting you up

    Tina Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Ashton Blackburn's grandmother, and I went through this over four years, a little different. I pray daily for her healing. If she happens to lose her hair, and hopefully, she will not, please contact me. Ashton had several wigs which she had styled like her hair. If she needs this please contact me I would love to purchase her a wig of her choice at Ladies Only in Vestavia. I am listed in the telephone book. I work and usually not home but you can leave me a message. Mavis Adams May God Bless all of you.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2Corinthians 4:8 We are hard pressed on every side, but NOT crushed; perplexed, but NOT in despair; persecuted, but NOT abandoned; struck down but NOT destroyed.
    2 Cornithians 9:8 And God is ABLE to make all grace abound to you, so that in ALL things at ALL time, having ALL that you need, you abound in every good work. Love you, Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendall, Daryl and Tammy,

    We are praying constantly for you all. Healing, strength and courage for Kendall; comfort, courage and strength for both of you. Rest in the Lord and absorb His strength. I pray for the Peace the Passeth all Understanding for you all. You will all be in the apartment together soon. We love you so much. Be still and know that He is God and He is watching over you and carrying you through this journey. Lean on Him for He alone is worthy.
    Love,
    Ann, Nick, Ashley and Nicholas Getwan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall, Tammy & Daryl
    We were told in church this past Sunday that the defintion of frustration is - When our expections collide with reality. I know it's hard when things don't happen on our time, but remember who's time schedule is being followed - and remember that GOD is walking with & using you for HIS purpose through this period of frustration. We love you & will continue to pray for steps forward & high spirits, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daryl Tammy and Kendall, II love yall very much and truly pray for complete peace in this journey, and healing to come. Nothing is impossible with God. Hope to see yall soon. We got the paper and took it to church. we will not forget to pray.love always aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.. Your blog was forwarded to me by friend back in Alabama. I am from Birmingham and moved to Houston 3 1/2 years ago. I'm a Nurse Practitioner and work in cardiology. I have limited knowledge of Leukemia, but if you need anything during your stay in Houston, please email. I can attempt to answer questions, give advice / info on houston, or just offer an ear.

    Phillip (pb_acnp@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kendall,

    I remember when Tammy came to pick you up one day and Darren was there with little baby Drew. Your Nana decided to take a picture. Then she decided to take a picture of Darren holding you and Tammy holding Drew.

    Everything was cool at first. You didn't mind Darren holding you. But as soon as you turned and saw Tammy holding Drew, you threw your little head back and SQUALLED like it was the end of the world. Of course, when you started crying, Drew started crying. Your Nana snapped a picture of it. It is still the most precious, perfect picture I've ever seen.

    I know at this point I'm probably little more than a stranger to you, but I do love you so very, very much. I always have and I always will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you guys today!

    "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts..." (Colossians 3:15)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still praying for you guys. God has plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans for HOPE and a future. ~ Jeremiah 29:11

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am praying so hard for all of you everyday and something that I have really learned through all of this is how small our normal daily problems really are. I truly believe that God has a purpose for everything and I have seen this so much in my life. I know that he will lead Kendall through this hand in hand and she will be just like new again. Take care and I love all of you. Gina Squires

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kendall, we are all praying for you! We love you very much! Keep the faith...keep your head up and keep smiling. I know how tough it can get at times and we have questions that can't be answered, but God is there and He is an awesome God! Just keep in mind through all the tough times He is holding you and loving you every minute of this ordeal. I love you girly!

    Sonja Easterling

    ReplyDelete