Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Good Day

...As I lay in bed this morning, alone in the hotel room, I keep thinking that if I stay in the bed and don't get out that maybe we can skip this day in Kendall's journey. I mean, if I don't get out of bed, it must still be a dream. Those thoughts didn't last too long as I received a call from Dylan at 6:30am. Dylan began to talk as if he has been up for several hours. His voice was excited and he was eager to tell me to have a good day and that he loved me. He was feeding the dogs, usually my job, before he went to school. He made sure to tell me to tell Kendall hi and that he loved her too. He then said he had to call and he would call me later. That was enough to get me out of the bed and to get ready to go see Kendall....

..... Last night was Kendall's first chemotherapy treatment and I just knew it was going to be rough this morning, wondering how many of those side effects she was experiencing. She had also told me that she would call me when she got up this morning so I can expect to be up early. But Kendall's phone call never came. I walked in the hospital room a little after 8:00am to find Kendall still asleep. Tammy was awake and sitting in the chair. Tammy said that it was a rough night. The nurses were in the room all night and neither one of them got much sleep. I kissed Kendall on the head and she rolled her eyes up at me and I knew we were in for a long day.Tammy also looked like she was going to have a rough day as well. So I sat there quietly and flipped through some Leukemia paperwork until it was time to go to Infusion Therapy class.

Infusion Therapy class is exactly what I thought it would be like. It was a room full of people learning how to take care of a PICC Line for their loved one. What was interesting was that these people have the same blank and confused look on there face as I did mine. We all sat through it and listened to the nurse explain the procedure. Then we were told we had to complete a second class and then take a test for the third class to be "able" to properly care for the PICC Line.
It's Whatever it has to be because I'm going to go through it all. I went back to the room and Kendall was stirring around a little bit. She said she was feeling a little bit better and hungry. That's a good sign right?Hungry? Anyone that wants to eat has to be feeling ok. I went to the second class and it was the same as the one before. They just want you to have 2 logged in sessions of the class to make sure we understand. So I'm set to take the test and perform my first PICC Line change and flush on guess who? That's right, Kendall!!! I don't think she was very excited about that and asked if a nurse was going to be in here...

....By this time it was near 4:00pm and I had an appointment to look at some apartments. Besides that, Chuck, had drove our car out here and was back at the motel waiting on me. I take care of that and back to the hospital to see Kendall and Tammy. We all sat in the room for a while and talked and Kendall was glowing. No, not from the chemotherapy. She was just overwhelmingly in a good mode. Talking, laughing, texting and being herself. It was wonderful. She has made a complete turn around from this morning. I can only hope that she feels like this all the time. It was so refreshing to have her be in a good mood. Oh YEAH,....I forgot to tell you. The doctor came in to tell us that IF the treatment goes well and all the bloodwork is normal, we maybe able to take Kendall out of the hospital sometime Monday. Now there is alot of things that can happen between now and then but it was good news to hear. Life at the apartment will be very different but manageable. Adjustments will have to be made and it will throw Kendall out of her comfort zone a little but she is looking forward to leaving the hospital.

....Overall, it was a good day. Kendall turned in a positive day with minimal side effects, Dylan still loves me for leaving him in Birmingham, we were able to see a friend from Gardendale and are still receiving phone calls and emails of support from all of you. I want to thank you again for thinking of us and want you to know that we could not be here without you. Thank you!

I will post some information tomorrow with better details on donating blood. The doctors said that Kendall will possibly need blood and platelets during this time and that if anyone would be willing to donate, it would be a great help. There is a way that when you donate, it can be credited for Kendall to receive but could also help others with Leukemia as well. I will post more information on this tomorrow.

Don't forget to look at the pictures I put up !

23 comments:

  1. I am so thankful to read that Kendall is feeling good. When I read yesterday about her first dose of chemo I thought about how sick she might get. My prayer tonight is for all of you to rest peacefully. I will continue to pray for all of you daily.
    Joan Patrick (Lauren's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl, I can't imagine how very difficult your posts must be to write but they are painting such an honest and vivid picture of what is happening in Houston. Please don't stop! And know that we are praying for Kendall (wow, what an amazing young woman!), Tammy, you and your family. Don't worry about that pic line- you guys won't have any trouble handling that!
    Susan Creel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiddo, glad you have today behind you now you can look forward to some time out of the hospital soon. I love the haircut you look beautiful, but I wouldn't expect any less.The bracelets are in and Sierra texted like a hundred kids to let them know where they could get them. We all have ours on and they don't come off until you come home!!! Hope you have another good day! We love you! Aunt Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of POWER and of LOVE and of a SOUND MIND." 2 Timothy 1:7

    Praying that the Lord will strengthen you with His power, wrap you up in His love, and control your thoughts so that you all can have a sound mind. Gardendale is praying for you.
    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 14, 2009 at 7:23 AM

    Good morning, sweet Kendall! It was wonderful last night for us and Dylan to see and talk to you via the webcan that Daryl talked us through to get connected. I'm glad you had a pretty good day yesterday, and hope and pray that today will be even better for you. Know that you are in our hearts and minds constantly, and we are counting days until we can see you in person.
    Love You Bunches,
    Granny and Pawpaw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers! It is so good to here how well Kendall is doing!! Please let us know if we can help with anything. Candace, Ben and Blake Ragsdale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning all. I finally figured out how to post a comment! Yeah! I just wanted to let all of you now that I am thinking of you. This blog is something else, it really does paint the picture of what you all are going through. I want you to know I just balled my eyes out while reading it the other night while I was stuck in the airport trying to get back home. My brother Daryl, you are one special person. My thoughts and prayers are with you all! I love you all! David Sutton

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Team Kendall,

    Well, after reading Daryl's latest post, I feel like running up and down the aisles at work doing cheerleader hollerin' and jumps. Now doesn't that paint a pretty picture!!!!

    Surely, surely we see the blessings from heaven pouring down. What a testimony this journey already is.

    Thought for the day...

    "As for accomplishments, I just did what I had to do as things came along." -Eleanor Roosevelt

    Tammy, I'll talk to you on email later...

    I know you're keeping up with stuff here as best as you can, but just in case and to let you know...Dylan will be staying with Whitney most of the weekend and possibly going to SVBeach with us and the Rovi's on Sunday depending on the weather. Not too much homework yet I don't think, but next week, Belinda and I will be on that duty!!!

    Lifting you up

    Tina, Randy and Nic

    ReplyDelete
  9. kendall, glad to hear that you are doing well, and getting started on your treatments.my prayer for you is that you will continue to fight this thing everyday and that you will to continue to seek the LORD'S help everyday. i am reminded fo the song MY HELP that shelley burkett has sang many times at church. it says that all of your help comes from the LORD and that he shall not leave you or forsake you during your times of trouble. just remember this whenever you feel as though you can not go on.Daryl and Tammy i pray that you guys will have unwavering strength,joy,and faith during these times. you guys are really special people and we miss you.thanks for all the updates and pictures. take care of KENDALL and continue to have faith in GOD'S plan. JEFF,KIM,AND TAYLOR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kendall!! I am sooo glad to hear that you did well after your first treatment.I have to admit when I talked to Whit yesteday that I was worried you would be sick, but I should have know better...We are talking about Kendall...And I am praying you get well enough to leave the hospital room soon. I know how boring it gets in there, but you do what you gotta do, right? Have a great day and we will see you soon....we love you...Michelle, Tenley and Jason....

    And, thank you Daryl for keepiung us updated...we love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall - First of all - I LOVE the hair!
    I'm happy to hear that you're doing so well - you are an exceptional young woman. It might not be by choice, but you are such an inspiration to us all. It's all in the attitude and outlook and yours are GREAT! Stay strong & remember GOD will carry you through when you don't think you can go yourself - we love you & are praying daily, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kendall... You have simply amazed me with your positive attitude!!! You are one strong girl. I am so glad to hear that the first treatment went well and hopefully you will get to leave the hospital soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers. You have lots of people praying for you and your family so hang in there!!!

    Thank you Daryl for your wonderful site that you have set up. It's really good to be able to hear what is going on from someone who is actually there with Kendall because you know how people talk and you hear so many different stories. Thanks again for keeping us all up to date. Tammy, you have wonderful girls and a wonderful husband. I pray that God continues to give you the strength that you need.

    Amy Gooch, Cherished Moments

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Yall,
    First to Kendall... Love the hair. You look so cute. I also love the pictures. I was wondering how long it would take Daryl to figure out how to post them. Keep them coming.

    Tammy, I am glad you have a picture in there. You look good. I looked at the pictures from the wedding... you were so beautiful on Friday night. I can't wait to see some of the wedding party that went to SVH.

    I am glad you guys are getting in an apartment. I love the blog.

    I will go to donate platelets next week. I am already a registered doner. If I can, I'll assign them to Kendall.. not sure how that works.
    Love always, Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Morning Kendall. I am Jacob Anderson's mom. Just wanted you to know we are praying for you everyday!

    Charon, Keith, Jacob and Sydney Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  15. This time next Friday me, Emers & Chase will be in Texas. I can't wait to see you. I love you!!!

    Love you!
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kendall,
    I'm not sure if you remember me but I am Lynn Howell (married to Kevin) he works with Daryl. I'm also Ryan Watrous's mom. I know your mom will remember this. You & Ryan liked each other in pre-school. ya'll had a song "the free willy song" HA! it was so cute. I have seen you play softball a few times during high school and you are really an impressive player. I just wanted to say hi and I will be praying for you. I know that you will do great and will be home before long. Tell your parents hello and that we are all thinking of you.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kendall I want you to know that you are in my prayers every single day. I sit down everyday and just say a prayer for a friend that I have been blessed with. I know we never talked alot in High School but, you were one girl in our class I looked up to. Every time I saw you; you had a smile on your face and it really brightened my day and I know others as well. I sit here and I read what has been written about you. Stay strong! Which I know you are doing. Love ya girl! Always, Erica Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kendall, I am so glad that I got to come and watch Bragan and Brett's wedding with you at the hospital Friday night! I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to color you a picture, but I promise that I will get you one of those velvet posters that glow in the black light to make up for it! hehe BTW, I love your short hair, but you are beautiful no matter what!! I was not going to miss seeing you before you left for Houston, and trust me, I will not lose touch with you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers until you come back home! I know you are one of the strongest people that I know and I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! Keep your head high, and this will be just a distant memory! LOVE YA BUNCHES X10!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Kendall just thinking about you (like all day) and to let you know I miss you very much. Chase will be there next Friday should be arriving about 11:30 if flight is on time. I wished I was coming with him but I know he will take over and let your mom and Daryl have some out time. I am sure he will have you making laps down the hall so be ready. Stay strong, have faith and God will carry you through this storm. See you soon, (on webcam)
    Love you,
    Ms. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kendall, Tammy, and Daryl

    I give blood on a regular basis and am due to give again. I would be happy to give platlets too if I can tag them for Kendall. Please let me know if that can be done. My email address is kelley.cornelius@gmail.com.

    Love,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi to all,

    Just viewed the pics, glad to see you looking so well. Hang in there. So glad Daryl is keeping us up to date. I look forward to reading every night to keep an update. I hope you get out as expected. Tammy, please let me do something for you back at home. I will check into the blood thing so all of us can donate if possible. Look forward to hearing from you in person.

    Beverly Hill

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey babe,
    As always it is getting late before I can send you a note. It was wonderful to hear your up beat voice tonight. You continue to give your Father and I strength that we need to be apart from you. May God continue to bless you with your treatments as He blessed you Father. Your Dad said to tell you sweet dreams and he will talk with you tomorrow.
    With all our love,
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey kendall, daryl and tammy I love yall and we put u on our prayer list.

    ReplyDelete