Monday, August 10, 2009

"Houston, We have a problem!"

.........As we close in on the night of August 9th, we were told by the nurse at the hospital that a bed has become available in Houston. We were told that we will be leaving in a few hours!. Now, that just did not set well with me because we were told we would have a 12 hour window to prepare. Somewhere, someones owes me about 10 hours.....So as Tammy and me scramble to the house to get the luggage, Kendall becomes upset because she now believes that she is going to leave without getting to say goodbye to her friends. AT&T's switchboard probably came close to blowing a fuse because at that precise moment all the cell phones in the hospital began to call someone at the same time.

As I'm following Tammy to the house I begin to cry because I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I had not packed anything yet because I still believe that the hospital mixed up Kendall's records with someone else and at any moment they were going to realize that they had made a mistake. I just don't know what to say or do or how to be strong in front of Kendall. I tried to tell myself that there are no mistakes because God has a plan. He doesn't have to tell me what it is...I just have to trust in him and believe that this is in God's hands......
........So back to the hospital we go to find that Kendall is surrounded once again by her friends, family and loved ones. And to top it off...she is laughing and cutting up just like any other day. I began to look at several familiar faces in the crowd and started to cry again as I saw the love and support flowing through that room. One by one the crowd thins out as they say their goodbyes to Kendall. Kendall reassuring them that it will be alright....It's whatever.

Around 1am, we are finally in the air on our way to MD Anderson Hospital in Houston, Texas. Tammy and Kendall try and sleep as I try to imagine what is in store for Kendall. The plane lands around 2:38am and an ambulance is waiting to whisk her away. MD Anderson welcomes Kendall with a trip through the emergency room. Here is where we will sit what seems like an eternity. Kendall has finally went to sleep as I hope this time it will be longer than an hour before someone wakes her up. Tammy is trying to sleep in the little chair but not having a lot of success at it. Kendall sleep until 9 o'clock this morning. The nurse tells us that the doctor should be in shortly and will talk to us and then all we have to do is wait on a bed to open up. Well I thought that is why we were here was because that a bed had opened up. Now that Tammy and me have passed the 24hour mark without sleep I'm beginning to think once again that all of this is going to get cleared up so we can go home. Not our luck..

....From about 11:30am to 2:00pm, Kendall's' day became a whirlwind. We met Jan! Jan is Kendall's nurse practitioner in the leukemia center. Jan began to talk and explain more about this disease than I really wanted to hear. But Jan is right. We needed to hear what is going on. I must finally accept that this is really happening and it is really happening to Kendall. Jan gave Tammy a big hug as she began to cry about the leukemia. Jan started out by doing another bone marrow biopsy on Kendall. This is the third one she has had in less than a week. Kendall then gave more blood followed up by them placing a pic line in her right arm. Jan said that the pic line will be used for them to run through the chemotherapy treatment. I think at this point there is no turning back, we are here for the long haul. Kendall's doctor then began to explain her overview of this whole situation. The only thing my mind remembers is that .." for the next nine months to a year." Is it really going to take that long to heal her.?

After the doctor left, me and Tammy began to try to plan our life for the next several months. I know this will work out and we will all come through this together.

20 comments:

  1. Kendall it hasn't been a full day yet and I miss you so much. Chase said you wanted the chicken casserole as soon as you get back. We will do that and then Sumos then ITS WHATEVER on the next. But we will see you before that. Chase has already had the calendar out and marking the weekends he knows he has off so we will be there. You stay strong tomorrow for the 1st treatment because there is nothing that can take you down. I am praying soooo much for you Gods' ears are so tired.
    I love you and want you back with us.
    Remember God knows you by name and will not forsake you.

    Miss you,
    Ms. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny Lyn & Pawpaw EdAugust 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM

    Kendall sweetie, you are on my mind and in my heart! You are young and strong and have so much determination, that I know you will do so remarkable with this treatment that you will amaze those doctors with your spirit and stamina. We miss you so much and we too are planning how soon we can come to see you and Tammy and Daryl. Remember how much we love you and we are continually praying all good thoughts! Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister, 11 days and counting till we get to see each other. I know you can't wait. Remember you are a strong young woman that can get thru anything. I know God has big plans for you and I can't wait to see what they are. I love you and miss you bunches!!! See you soon :)

    Whit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendall know that you are surrounded by friends, families and prayers for this chapter of your life to be short and out of the way quickly. Give everything to God because that is one of the many things He does for us.
    Enjoy your short stay in the state of Houston...

    ReplyDelete
  5. All my Love and Prayers 48.

    Buckett

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi- I am good friends with Kendall's cousin Bonnie and also went to school with her cousin Randall. I have been praying for Kendall and your whole family. I can not imagine what ya'll are going through, but as you've already said, God is in control! Praying for strength and peace as you have just begun this journey. Praying that you will feel God's presence as never before. HE IS THE GREAT PHYSICIAN. One of the verses I love to cling to is Zephaniah 3:17. "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save! He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing."
    I will continue to follow your blog and lift your family up in prayer.
    Love,
    Jamie Whitt
    Trussville, AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kendall, Tammy and Daryl,
    Thinking of you this morning and I am so glad Daryl is keeping everyone up to date with this blog, otherwise we hear who knows what! Praying for you and all of your family. Love, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Team Kendall,

    I am a BIG believer in positive thinking. So I'm imagining Kendall is raring to go get this yucky stuff overwith and head back to good ol' G'dale. I'm glued to this site to keep up with what's going on. Daryl, you did a terrific job of setting it up and you will all be amazed and how such a small window will open up your journey to thousands of people. This place will become a haven of prayer, well wishes and comfort. It will bring you peace and increase your determination and resilience. Let it do its work!!!!! Read it often!!!

    We're keeping Dylan occupied (thinking about taking him painting this Fri - An Alabama Elephant...) or maybe to the Hunt Club or Springvalley beach depending on the weather and what else he has going.

    We are especially thankful there is an MD Anderson out there to take you through this journey. As always----lifting you up

    Love on Kendall for us!!!

    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kendall, Tammy & Daryl
    I love you and miss yall already. Am so thankful to God for his many blessings (already seen so far) and I know that he will bless and keep you. We are praying for you. Brian comes home today and we will post again later with him.
    Love Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy, Kendall and Family - you probably do not know me. Tammy, I especially know what you are going through. My daughter, Stacey Caufield Phillips, had colon cancer about 7 years ago and the stage you are in right now is a nightmare, you keep thinking you will wake up from, but do not. Stay strong with the only power that can help you, and that is Jesus. My family is praying for you all, especially Kendall. God is still in the healing business as is witnessed by so many "miracles" that can only come from our FAther in Heaven. Of course some days will be better than others - but EVERY day is one step closer to being well. May you physically feel the comfort of God's arms surrounding you and the love and good wishes of your family, community and people you cannot even imagine. I will look forward to reading about Kendall's progress daily. Thank you, Daryl, for keeping a "lifeline" to the "Family of Gardendale" for Kendall. Isaiah 41:13.
    Jo Caufield

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall, I hope that whenever you read this you are having a good day.I want you to know that KIM, TAYLOR, and myself will be praying for you . I wish that I had an answer for why these things happen, but I do not.I only know that we must have faith that GODS plan will work out for the best.That is very hard to do when our world seems to be crumbling,but it is the only thing we have.I have known you for a long time and I know that you are hard-headed and stubborn enough to beat this(HA-HA).There are very few things in this world that I am very emotional about(just ask KIM) but when it comes to my softball girls I take that personally.When you beat this disease you will have a great opportunity provided by GOD to tell others about what HE has done for you,an opportunity to help others when they feel like there is no hope! I know that GOD has a special plan for you and that this is just the first step.Please tell your mom and Daryl that anything they need me to do here I will gladly do, and feel free to call me anytime. You are a beautiful and special young lady that means a lot to me and so many others! You have no idea how many people are praying for you across this nation.Just remember that GOD never puts more on us than we can handle! May GOD continue to bless you and your family!LOV U KID JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kendall,

    I re-read the latest posting and you're gonna LOVE that pic line. If it's anything like the one I had it cut the needles down to none. Yes, I said none. Hope this is the same experience you have...and when they clean it - it doesn't hurt AT ALL...you think it will, but it doesn't.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kendall, Tammy and Daryl:
    Tenley and I pray for you everynight when we say our prayers. I can't even say that I know what you are going through, because I don't. I got to see a little when my sister stayed so many nights, weeks, months and even years with Noah in the hospital. I know it's not going to be easy, but I know you can do it; you have so many people who love you and are praying for you. Just remember that God will never leave or forsake you. He is always there and he will be with you every minute of every day and every step of the way. I love you all and I am planning on coming to visit soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kendall,
    You don't know me, but I am a friend of Ashley Robinson. I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family. My mom was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, and she has now been cancer free for almost a year! She is back at work and playing in tennis tournaments again. If she or I can support you in any way by talking with you about her expereinces and chemo, call her anytime at 251-978-6558 or e-mail her at rbrantley1017@yahoo.com. She wants to share her expereinces and bring hope to people who are facing what she did because of the support she received from others during her treatments. We will all be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kendall, hey its Cooper, just wanted to let you know that April and I pray for you everyday!!! I am so thankful that Jesus Christ is still in the business of answering prayers!!! You know we've always heard that "God would never give us more than we could handle" right? Well that is true but I also know that "God wouldn't give us more than HE can handle through us!!!"

    Praying for ya
    the coopers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kendall,
    I know it is getting late but, I am not computor savy. I just wanted you to know how much your Dad and I love you. This has been one of the hardest things for us to face since your Dad has first hand knowledge. You just need to remember God is good all day long and he will heal you as He has healed your Dad. I wish you were still in B'ham so we could continue to be with you but, we know this is the best of the best hospitals. Our prayer will not stop nor our love. We will see your soon.
    With all our love
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kendall,

    We have been thinking about you... alot. We love and miss you! I was reading and this reminded me of you... It is Isaiah 41:10

    Fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
    I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous hand.

    Sometimes it is so hard to understand why these things happen... I don't understand them and never will... but I know that God has a plan for your life.

    We love you!!
    Blake and Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Kendall,
    You may not remember me but, i use to play softball at gardendale when we were younger but i went to fultondale. I remember i first met you before that when everyone use to go to the skating rink in gardnedale. lol haha that takes me back. Anyways i just wanted to let you know that my family and i are praying for you. Having had my mother go through breast cancer i know the feelings that your loved ones are having, and i also am praying for them. my mother told me that without a possitve attitude she wouldnt have made it through. i know you are keeping a possitive attitude and i know you will overcome this obstacle in your life because we truly know that it realy is whatever!! =) I hope you have a wonderful day!

    sending all my love,
    chelsey

    ps. the video was very heart felt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey guys! I just wanted to drop by and let yall know that you are in our prayers and we think of you non-stop! We have faith that you will pull through just fine! You are an amazing person and your strength is undeniable. We love you all. I know you are super busy fighting this but I hope you are getting some time to enjoy Houston. Stay positive and always remember we are here for you if you need anything at all!!!
    Love, the Peacock's

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Stranger,

    I got your card in the mail and you better be glad that it didn't make me cry. I miss you and love you tremendously:)

    kaley

    ReplyDelete