Friday, August 21, 2009

What's Happy About Today

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – (NIV)

Today was my birthday. This is the best present that I received. What else could one want? Well, I used my birthday wish on Kendall. Now you know I can't tell you what I wished for, but it's probably not to hard to figure out........

......We started early today as Whitney, Emily, Michele and Dylan arrived really early. Around 5'ish. Dylan was first to greet me with a bear hug that squeezed the breath out of me. Hard to believe that it has only been a week since I have seen him. I had to practically carry him up the stairs to the apartment. I barely got them settled into their room when Kendall woke up. She described it as waking up on Christmas morning. She peeked her head out of the room to see if anyone was there. I don't know if we were loud coming in or she was already awake. Nonetheless, the look on everyone's faces was bright and smiles all the way around. I tried to get Kendall back to sleep but their was too much excitement going on to be sleeping. I also knew that it was going to be more exciting later with the arrival of Chase. The girls wanted breakfast and went to McDonald's only to be disappointed to find out that they do not serve "gravy biscuits" out here. Not at the one they went to anyway. As soon as they were about to wind down it was time to pick up Chase from the airport. We were running a little bit behind schedule as today was the day we had to change the CVC dressing, I.V. connectors, flush the lines and still take her medicine. Not to mention that she had to fix herself up before she could see Chase. I had to threaten to leave her at the apartment because we were going to be late if we didn't go now. She then beat me to the car before we left....

....We arrived at the airport and were parking when Kendall received a text from Chase telling her that he had landed. I could tell Kendall wanted to go with me inside the airport to meet him but I was nervous enough with her just being outside. Of course, we had the mask on her but I really thought she might show up behind me anyway. I meet Chase inside and I began to talk with him about the flight. He said it was fine, no problems. We talked about Kendall as we walked out to the car. The closer we came to the car the more I could tell that Chase wasn't really paying attention to me anymore, he was looking for Kendall. We came within two rows of the car and Kendall had already got out and met Chase half way. I continued on to the car to find Tammy crying inside. After everybody collected themselves, we were off to the apartment....

...Back at the apartment, it began to storm and rain. It's like it was a huge cleansing from God to wash all the germs away so Kendall can have a good time with her family and friends. We ordered pizza and watched movies. We played dominoes and took naps. We even had birthday cake! All of this going on and I prayed that everything would be fine. I'm gonna tell you that I wasn't sure about having any kind of visitors until Kendall was "out of the danger zone" so to speak. I want to put her in a bubble to protect her from everything. I know that I can't. But that is exactly what I was going to do until I had a long talk with one of Kendall's doctors yesterday. He explained the risks to me of Kendall being exposed to bacteria while her white blood cells were down. But he didn't think that isolating her was the "best" medicine. There are ways to control her exposure through wearing masks, washing hands and just everyday cleaning. Human contact is very important to ones self healing and to keep her from any type of contact with loved ones would be placing more stress on her. He said they have had numerous successful patients come through the treatment without complete isolation. Being smart and aware is the key. I talked it over with Kendall and Tammy and it was decided that we would all be more aware of our surroundings and do what was needed to be done for Kendall. Kendall was happy with this, and deep down I was happy that she was happy but I still have my doubts.

It was so good to see everyone today and one could say that I had a good birthday. With all that is going on with Kendall, the last thing I wanted to do was celebrate a birthday. But I had both family members and friends remind me that today was a Happy Birthday to me. I love them and thank them for remembering me as well during Kendall's journey. I guess all of this kind of answered my own doubts about having contact, because I know how Blessed it made me feel to hear them and I could not possible take away those feelings from Kendall. I hope that she can forgive me for even thinking about it. Sometimes things cloud your judgement and it's always good for your family and friends to be there to pick you up when your down. I guess it's good to try and keep things as normal as possible but it's hard to do that when facing something like this. I want to make sure everything is perfect because I don't want to give any advantage to Leukemia. I pray that Kendall's journey is manageable and victorious. Any other way WILL NOT not do....

God Bless all of you tonight...

15 comments:

  1. words cannot describe how mad we were about the gravy situation because we had been talking about gettin one for hours! i dont think they were american?! ha i love yall and im so glad we got to come out here even if the ride down here made me sick. Happy Birthday again Daryl glad we got to spend it with you!:))
    -Emers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Daryl! Still praying for you all!!

    Amy Wicker Lankford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi kiddo, Well it's Sat. early A.M.I can't tell you how happy I am that everyone got there safe and sound! I'm sure you were all ecstatic to see each other and just spend time together! I am glad your Mom and Daryl decided not to isolate you too much,cause I really don't think a herd of horses could hold you back from spending time with friends and love ones.Soak in the love and company of those around you and we'll rely on God to keep any harm away from you. I pray that the joy and laughter of this weekend will rejuvinate your spirit and strengthen your emotional body. I'm sure it will drain your physical body but you will rest better this coming week after having spent time with those who love you and have missed you since the night you left.I pray that they will all have safe trips home and that you will have a great week and get plenty of rest when they are gone. You are in our prayers daily and we claim your healing in Jesus' name. We Love You very much!!! Aunt Stacy, Uncle Mark , Sierra, & Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM

    Good morning sweet Kendall, and all of you family and friends in Houston. I can only imagine the smiles and laughter and hugs and woo-hoos going on most of the day yesterday! And even though some of the day today Kendall will have to spend at the hospital for a treatment, I hope the rest of the day is spent again doing fun things and enjoying lots of laughter.

    Just remember that even though we are not there physically with you, we are certainly there with you in spirit. We have all of you on hearts and minds, and are praying for continued healing and strength. Just take each day one at a time, and rely on God for guidance and assurance.

    Love you guys bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday my brother. Kinda like you with this blog, I always feel I'm a day behind. I'm glad to hear that everyone made it safely. Wish I could be there with all of you. Please give everyone hugs and kisses for me and I will talk to you soon. I would love to see some new pics. Love you, brother David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning from Alabama - so glad everyone got out there safely. I know it will be great getting to visit with them. It will do a lot to keep those spirits up and ready to continue this fight. Please know you are in our prayers daily. Much love, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only imagine the look on Emily and Kendalls faces when they were told they dont do "Gravy Biscuits"... you would think that the world was coming to an end :) Its ok girls.. I understand! Love you guys and Hope ya'll have a fun saturday together! .. Still lifting you up in Prayer continuously!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thoughts and Prayers from Magnolia Street. We love you guys! We pray for you everyday.... Happy Birthday Daryl..
    Love,
    Randy, Carol and Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy,

    Please e-mail me so I will have you address. I'm so glad you had visitors. I know this helped both you and Daryl and especially Kendall. We can't get ya'll off our minds and hearts. Dana is watching after Mom & Dad and we help too. Love all of you. Take care. . .

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off -- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, DARYL! I'm glad that some of the family and friends got to go to Houston to visit Kendall! I am sure that she really is enjoying spending time with them. I know it's hard trying to watch close for any threats of germs at this stage, but I know yall are doing great at it. Funny story about meeting Chase at the airport! lol Before I finished reading it, I already knew that she would still get out of the car! lol I know things are not ideal right now, but I believe that everything is going to be okay and yall will be back home before you know it! Give Kendall a big hug and kiss from me!!! I LOVE YALL, and try and stay out of that hot Houston weather! Love Ya! Traci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday, Daryl. I hope that everyone is having a wonderful visit. I know you guys are loving every minute of it, and I know it's doing wonders for Kendall. I found out the other day at work that I work with Wayne Martin's cousin, Kyle. I've know of Wayne for years. He worked with my dad at the Bham News. Kyle's been praying for Kendall before he ever found out I knew you guys. Talk about a small world! As I said in my last post, my office has lots of prayer warriors for Kendall and the numbers keep expanding. Kendall, I hope this weekend gives you the much needed strength to get through the days ahead until the next visit from loved ones. I think these visits are as much good medicine for you as anything you're being given. Taken together, you're bound to start feeling better. I pray every day that you win this battle against leukemia. I feel you will... after all, you're an Auburn girl! We Auburn girls (me - class of '72) can withstand anything. Keep doing everything you're told and keep the faith and you'll get through this trial stronger than before. You don't know me well, but because I love your Granny Lyn and PawPaw Ed, my love carries over to you. And LOVE, dear Kendall, will get you through this.

    Susan (Granny Lyn's neighbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops... hit post before I meant to. Actually, while love is so important to the psyche, I must give credit not only to the wonderful doctors at MD Anderson who are treating Kendall, but to our Heavenly Father who is watching over her through all this. His love will definitely provide Kendall and all of us with what we need, and the doctors with the means of treating her to their best abilities. That's all we can ask for. Daryl, Tammy, Kendall... know you're in so many people's prayers and that many people reaching out to God on your behalf has to be amazing. Hope your day was wonderful with all your family there. And I hope all the days forward will be healthy, healing, blessed days.

    Susan (Granny Lyn's neighbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello to everyone! I am so glad to hear that Kendall is at the apartment instead of the hospital. I know that she is more comfortable there with you guys. I just wanted to say about the post you made about trying to be strong for Kendall and not show much of your emotions that showing emotions to one another is what makes you stronger as a family. If you can't show your true colors and talk about what is going on in the family then you end up walking on egg shells around one another and that doesn't do anyone any good. To show your emotions doesn't show weakness it just shows that you understand one anothers feelings and you acknowledge that each one of you are going through something different during this time. If you don't share then you end up sitting back just wondering what the other is thinking and if you are doing the right things to support one another. Trust me, just let it go and hang on to each other along with God. He will walk you through this trying time and show you the way. I guess as corny as it sounds just let it go! That old saying is so true Live, Love, and Laugh, which includes laughing, hugging, holding one anothers hand and yes even crying together. So many people go through life thinking "I can't cry because they will see me and then we will have to talk about what I am thinking and I may cause them to cry" when in fact maybe they are thinking the same thing and really want to let their feelings out and can't because they are thinking the same thing about you. Absolutely no good to hold back and hold it in. If there is one piece of abvice that I can give you it is talking about God first and after that just letting your emotions go. Do not bottle everything up and try to carry the load alone. That is why God put you together as a family. He knew that you guys would hold tight to one another and had the bond that would get you through this time in life. We love you all and you are in our every thought and prayer each and every day. Together you will beat this thing, be able to get off the roller coaster and live the rest of your lives together. I want to thank you guys for doing this post so that we can follow your journey along with helping others to be strong and learn how important family and the love of God is.

    Love to all of you,
    Mike and Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daryl,

    Dylan and Mason were in preschool together. I am sorry to hear of your new journey, but know that you are never alone. God answers all prayers and He will give you and your family the strength you will need to complete your journey. Cancer is a horrible thing but is sounds as though you have faced it the only positive way you can. With humor (lots of humor) and with faith.

    You and your will be in my prayers.

    Dianne (Rodgers) Laughlin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Kendall- We are praying for you and know that God's favor is with you. Jackson says he is praying for you to be painfree and keep that smile on your face.We miss you but know that God will take care of you in Houston.

    Daryl=-happy belated birthday!
    Tracy and Tracy Jackson

    ReplyDelete