Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Ray of Sunshine

Saturday morning. Sleep late, cut the grass, maybe swim in the pool some or just be lazy and rest up from the long work week. How quick someones life changes in the blink of an eye. You never think it is going to happen to you or to a loved one. But change can be dealt with. Change can make us grow stronger and bring us closer together. Its the worry and stress that comes along with it that's hard to deal with. I can see early on that there will probably be more worry and stress than one person should have to deal with. Kendall has been so strong all through this journey. I know the journey is just starting and we realize that it will be a long one. But I feel her strength in her family and friends. Many of you call to talk and check on Kendall. Many of you write or post on this blog. She continues to amaze us all and I say again, you are her strength.

This morning was much the same as the last few mornings. She did appear a little more worked up today and I could tell she was wanting to get out and move around. Chase would walk with her around the hospital in Birmingham and she always felt better when she got back. So I decided to do just that, we were going out for lunch....in the meantime, Tammy had to attend one of the Infusion Therapy classes today so she can help with Kendall's PICC line. While Tammy was gone, me and Kendall had some time to talk about what all was going on. This is the first time, since we've been in Houston, that I could really tell that she was scared. As she began to tear up and talk to me, I thought to myself, this is it, my time to show her how strong I can really be. Didn't work out the way I wanted it to. I teared up and cried with her. I told her it was going to be alright as I wrapped my arms around her and held on. You would think with my 20 years of being a police officer that I could find a way to protect her and keep her safe. But I can't, it's totally out of my hands. But whose hands would be better if they couldn't be mine....Gods hand. I told her I would be with her as long as it takes and that we would pray for HIM and that we believe in HIM. I then told her that I love her and we will get through this.....together......ALL of us....together. Kendall then said that we better dry it up because momma would be back any minute and she didn't need to catch the both of us "having a moment".

By the time Tammy came back, we both were better. We talked to the nurse about walking Kendall around and she gave us a furlough. We took Kendall to lunch in the cafeteria. She ate a slice of pizza then said it didn't taste right. She tried some english peas and they were a little better. After lunch we walked outside and sat in a little park area. Kendall just laid back in the chair and soaked up the sunshine. It reminded me of a picture that our neighbor drew for Kendall. Noah drew a picture at school and he drew Kendall as the sunshine. How true was that picture. Kendall was getting a solar charge from the sun and spreading her sunshine all around. I didn't think that me and Tammy was going to be enough support to get Kendall back in that hospital. It was nice as we all sat there and talked about.....well it didn't matter what we talked about. The sight of her relaxed was conversation enough. We did manage though to take her back inside and back to the room.

Tonight, me and Kendall had to gang up on Tammy so she would go back to the apartment and get some rest. Tammy has been going since Sunday morning without hardly any sleep. I could see that she was tired but it didn't matter to her. She wasn't going anywhere. I know where Kendall gets her stubbornness from. I told her that she couldn't do Kendall any good if she wasn't able to perform herself, she needs to get some rest. Tammy resisted at first and became emotional with Kendall, but did agree to go to the apartment.

It's about 11:30 and they just gave Kendall her chemotherapy treatment. She's just laying there asleep soaking it all in..... I think I'll sit back and let some of her rays reach out to me....

...my title was inspired by the picture that Noah drew for Kendall....thank you Noah!

....Tammy ...I hope your resting ok... I love you.....


1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you

13 comments:

  1. whatever... you guyus need. Just let us know. We love you guys and are praying very hard. Get well Kendal

    Buckett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Team Kendall,

    What a way to start a beautiful Sunday morning!!! I bet Kendall is just sparkling!!! How appropriate and inspirational to use God's radiant sunlight as a means of communication and healing. Daryl, you're a wonder. This is exactly what I meant when I said you guys are showing us.-

    Today's quote...

    "We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own" - Plato

    Unless things changed since yesterday evening, we're going to svbeach today. Maybe Kendall will feel up to taking another trip outside and we can all be soaking up God's good sunlight.

    Tammy, promise yourself when you get into the apartment you'll do better in the rest department. You have strength that you never imagined and I expect you're running on adrenalin now...God will get you through, of this I'm sure, just don't fight against what your body tells you you need.

    My prayer for you today is that heaven's blessings continue to bloom on your pathway to total healing.

    love you guys.

    Tina, Randy and Nic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM

    Good morning my Kendall, who is indeed a ray of sunshine for us all! Hope you continue to have a good day today, and perhaps get outside for another burst of that sunshine therapy! Just remember how much we love you and miss you. And to Tammy and Daryl, please try to get some more rest. We continue to pray for total healing, and hope to see all of you soon.
    Love and hugs and kisses,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I finally found this blog thanks to NJN posting iton front page along with a gorgeous pict of Kendall & a really nice story. We left the po with our paper and went straight to Gdale Chevron to buy bracelets, already sold out, will try again later this week...... Let us know what you need will send asap. WE all love you and are praying for you all everyday. Love Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought of ya'll as I sat in church today. Guest speaker talked about "frustration", about being in what he called a "Chapter 40" (Genesis 40 when Joseph was going through rough times). He said it was in this period that God was preparing us for great things. He said that through these times we should pray for GOD to give us courage to continue on. This next part is what most reminded me of what ya'll are going through - There is always a "Chapter 41" that follows - For every season of stress there is a season of SUCCESS. My prayer for you today is that your "Chapter 40" is a short one and that in no time you'll be back here spreading your rays of sunshine on us all. Much love, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good afternoon Team Kendall!! Thank God for the beautiful sunshine he has provided for you. Dean and I was talking last nite about the time when all of us went to Opryland. kendall was maybe 5? and she got real tired of walking, as we all were. She used to call Dean "Big Guy" and she looked up at him and ask Big Guy can I ride on your shoulders and of course you all know the answer to that. Kendall and Big Guy. I now think of God as Your Big Guy, and I know he will carry you thru this journey. We love each one of you and if there is anything we can do let us know. We are praying without ceasing, till team Kendall is home and completed this journey....Love Debbie and Dean Gohn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darryl, you are doing a good job with this blog, this is the first thing I check when i get to work in the morning to see you lasted update for Team Kendall. Yall are in our thoughts and prayers so many times during the day. If you need us to do anything please let us know.
    Love yall, Barbara,Steve,Kayla and Brandon Sharp

    ReplyDelete
  8. We know God answered Jonah's prayer
    From the belly of a whale
    And Paul and Silas' cry He heard
    Although they were in jail

    So don't think God's lost track of you
    You're safely in His care
    Even though you're far away
    In Texas, way out there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey babe,
    Just a short note to say we Love You so very much and that every day seems so long without seeing you. It is amazing the response we have had on the bracelets Jessica ordered. Yes we ran out but, more are on the way. I have to think for every bracelet sold is a special prayer for you and your recovery. I know in my heart God works miracles, just think of your Dad he is proof. Continue to be strong.
    Love you with all our hearts
    Dad and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. HEY SUGAR!
    First off... Daryl, you looked like a pro at cleaning the PICC line already! :) Kendall Layne... I'm sending you a surprise with Emily on Thurs. so you better get it from her! I continue to pray for you all the time.. but you have no idea how much it touches my heart to see you still smiling in all your pictures! I know Emily is so excited to get down there this weekend and see you.. shes missing her other half here! The Dr.Pepper squishy went to the beach with us this weekend and since me and Em shared a bed I got to snuggle with it too! (pretty comfy) We love you!!!

    - Ashlyn & Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know Kendall but I do know Daryl and Tammy. I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and your family in this time. Always stay strong and know that God is with you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, Darrell, Kendal and Tammy, Its Regina your cousin. I just found your blog. Even though I just found it. I want you all to know I have been praying from the beginning as if this were my daughter. I Know this is all very hard to understand, and the only way any of us could make it thru times like these is the Lord. I am a firm believer in what prayer can do and my time of prayer is early each morning so just know when you wake up, someone has already brought you before OUR LORD. Darrell you remind me so much of how Jeff has always been to My son Chris your a wonderful Step father and husband, they are blessed to have you. Please pass my thoughts and prayers along to Tammy. Love Regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kendall!

    This is Lindsay Fleming! I wanted to let you know that I have been keeping up with all of the blogs on how everything is going with you! I am praying for you and your family and I have made sure to tell everyone that I know to pray for you as well!! I have really enjoyed viewing all of the pictures, especially since you are smiling in all of them! It is so good to see and hear that you are in good spirits! I am continuing to pray for you ALL!!!

    Love,
    Lindsay Fleming

    ReplyDelete