Saturday, August 29, 2009

Normal

Friday is going to be an easy day for us today. The doctors appointment was not to early today. We were in and out really quick today. Only to have scheduled several more visits. Kendall's pain in her legs has increased a little over the last couple of days which could be because of the medications she is currently on or because of the chemotherapy treatments or a combination of both. We scheduled to have another MRI to be done next week to check Kendall's progress. Hard to say until the bone marrow aspiration is done but the doctors feel as if everything is going as planned. Kendall was feeling rather well today so we decided to go to Hobby Lobby and walk around. She wanted to find some stuff to "scrapbook" with. I bought some stuff as well that I will go into later. We then picked up some lunch and went back to the apartment to hang out. Kendall worked on scrapbooking and Tammy began to work a puzzle that she picked up the other day. And I began to knit. Yes, I said knit. You see, this morning when I went to give Kendall her IV, I noticed a more than usual amount of hair laying around the dresser and on the bed. Kendall had said that it started coming out last night. It wasn't so much that you could tell by looking at her but it is definitely coming out. The doctors told us that it would and some said it wouldn't. But either way, Kendall has been preparing for it. Kendall doesn't wear hats to often but does like to wear toboggans.She has been looking for one but has not been able to find one that she likes. So I decided that I would make her one.

As I sat in the chair knitting her yellow toboggan, I did think it looked a might odd, me a 250 pound bald guy knitting a yellow hat. But I don't care. If it will help Kendall ease through the transition with losing her hair, it's well worth it.So when I finished it, it looked....ok. Kendall and Tammy thought it looked better than what it should since I did it. So the reviews were so good, I did another one.

After dinner, Tammy and Kendall wanted some ice cream and Kendall wanted Dairy Queen. The nearest Dairy Queen is on the other side of Houston. So...off we go. Nice little drive that took about an hour and a half to complete. So we get back to the apartment and settle in for the night. It's about time I give Kendall her night dose of antibiotics and her PICC Line is clogged. Nothing would go in. I'm calling the nurse, the doctor to find out what we need to do......and you guess it. A trip to the ER. Just what we needed around midnight. Back to the car, we all load up and take the road trip to the hospital. The ER is not to full, they see Kendall fairly quick. They call in an IV nurse and she finally was able to unclog the line. The nurse said that it is normal that the lines clog up. Well, it wasn't normal for me. I was freaking out. Kendall had to have her medication and I thought maybe I did something to the line this afternoon. But the nurse said it actually happens all the time, it was normal. We get out of there right at 1:00am only to have to return this morning at 9:45am for more test.

On the way back to the apartment, we see a huge Possum in the bushes as we are pulling in. As we get out to walk up the stairs, Kendall yells "Possum" and Tammy screamed at the top of her lungs. All the neighbors are up now. Me and Kendall laughed all the way inside. Tammy was not very pleased. But it just goes to show you that Kendall is feeling real well and I'm glad that things are a little normal.

I also talked to Dylan several times tonight. He was at the football game helping out as one of the managers for the team. I want to thank Coach Myric for asking him to help out. He has been so excited all week about the game and I wish I could have seen him in action tonight on the sideline.



Proverbs 17:6
Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Kendall

    Way to go scaring your mother. Tell her I said I was wondering what that noise was that woke me up at 1:00 this morning.HA! HA!
    I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of you in your new toboggan.
    I got B.J. a bracklet the other day and will be taking it to him today. It will be so good to see him. Keep talking to him Kendall I worry about him so far from home. But you sure know how that feels don't you.
    I pray you have a great day.

    God Bless You and Keep You Safe
    Love
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl,

    What a beautiful picture of Luke 11:13... "if you as a father know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Through this journey you are inspiring us all and showing us how to live, love and trust Jesus every minute. We pray for healing, strength, comfort and peace to fill Kendall, you and Tammy. God bless you all in extra measure today.

    Ann, Nick, Ashley and Nicholas Getwan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning all! You are gonna have to put a picture up of that 250lb bald guy knitting. How funny. You tell Kendall not to worry about that hair, bald is beautiful, I know this first hand. Her hair will grow back anyway. Way to go Kendall, make your mother scream! ha-ha, wish I could have seen her face. Just wanted to let you all know that I was thinking of you. Stand strong my brother, God has a plan and He is watching over you. Please give hugs and kisses to all. Love you, brother David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, just want you to know that we are praying for all of you, and that God will move!!! I am sure you already know that. God Bless You Guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Team Kendall

    Ok, the picture in our minds this morning of Daryl knitting is priceless. Randy is rolling with laughter (mixed with respect and pride). I think I'll try to teach him to crochet and he and Daryl can have tobaggan making contests with Kendall as the judge. That should get the competitive juices flowing!!!!

    Today's thought..."Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death." -Unknown

    FYI, after all the girl drama this past week, she decided Thursday she's "moving on." So we're gearing up for the next round of teenage angst.

    Prayers for laughter and light-heartedness which will help you through; and no more possums!!!!

    Lifting you up
    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I have to see pictures of Daryl knitting!! lol But I give much respect to you, man, for being able to do so! Kendall sounds like she is feeling okay, especially seeing that she was able to get Tammy about that possum! haha I wish you would have taken a pic of that, because talk about a KODAK MOMENT! I LOVE YALL AND CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY AND RETURN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM

    Good morning my sweet Team Kendall there in Houston! How good it was to see all of you, even for that brief time we were there! Keep that laughter and spirit strong to help you through each and every day. We laughed so hard at the vivid picture of our big ole boy sitting there and patiently learning to knit. And Daryl, you obviously are a very quick learner to have one already made and working on another!

    We are resting at home today, and getting things here in order so we can go and stay with Dylan next week. I'm sure he had a great time at the football game, and Pawpaw and I plan to see him "in action" at the next one.

    Here's hoping you all have a good day today, only having to spend a short time at the hospital, and the rest of the day resting! Hope you can find a good Mexican Restaurant for dinner! Remember how much we love all of you and we will keep praying for your strength, healing and peace.

    Love you bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mental image of Daryl with a pair of knitting needles is just too much to describe. Daryl, you are a man of many talents... writing, knitting, what's next? But that gives me an idea, too. I have a pattern for fleece toboggans - in fact I gave one to Kendall's PawPaw a couple of years ago since he doesn't have too much on top. I'm going to have to dig it out and make Kendall some fleece toboggans. They won't mean as much to her as yours do, Daryl, but in addition to prayer, it can be my small part to help Kendall. You guys have a restful weekend with no more midnight runs to the hospital.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry to say tam but i died out laughing about ken scaring you cuz i could honestly picture you and hear the scream! ha i miss yall and ken im gonna take my ponytail to fultondale and see if they can make a wig...i know youd love to be a blonde again haha i love yall to the moon and back! :))
    -Emers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Guys,
    Hope ya'll are having a great Saturday. You're always in our thoughts and prayers. Every time I see Em's ponytail in that bag I'm reminded of what a strong and special bond our girls have and what a blessing from God friendships are. Em has been scouring the web for cheap plane tickets, hope to get her there soon. Eat some ice cream for me. Love you Jamie and Roger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall, I can totally hear you yelling "Possum" and Momma screaming...I'm sure she wet her pants when you yelled. Hope you have a wonderful day!! I love ya'll bunches. See you soon! Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey babe,
    It was so great to hear you blood counts were up a little. I know it was not much but, every little bit counts. Jess and I will be hitting the thrift store to stock up on you some t-shirts and also pick you up some letters for you scrap book. We only have two and half day left before we are Houston bound so, be thinking of any thing else you would like to have. We are so ready to see our "BB". May God continue to watch over you and bless you with good days. Every one I see tells me how much they are praying for you and you recovery. I always remind them how God has answered prayers with your Dad and I know He will answer our prayers for you. You must always remember how much Thomas blood you have and how tough the Thomas's are. That is a good quality when you are facing the battle you and your Dad are up against. Just always remember even though we can not be with you in Houston you are in our every thought, every minute , of every day. We love you so very much and can not wait until we see that wonderful smile, hug you and kiss you through our mask. May God give you a peaceful night sleep and a wonderful Sunday. God is good all day long and we are so blessed even when we face hardships. Until tomorrow, hugs and kisses.
    Love you
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Kendall, Tammy and Daryl,
    Greetings from Magnolia Street...As always our thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay Strong..
    We love you guys! Hope you got our card..if you need anything please let us know.
    Carol and Randy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Daryl,
    Keep up with the knitting. I have sold at least two or three.We were just thinking about all of you.Take care.
    Scott and Angela Banks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Guys - I have to say the possum scare was hilarious. Kendall, I'm so glad you're feeling good enough to have that great a sense of humor. You continue to amaze us. You are such a strong and blessed young woman. Tell Daryl to knit you some booties - they feel so great on your feet - my Grandmama used to make them for me (not that I'm calling Daryl a Granny - ha). Prayer & love, Anne & Chuck Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  16. awh,
    i miss y'all.

    kendall, i love you and hope your doing better

    -Kaleighh

    ReplyDelete