Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Results Are In

.....Wednesday morning....6:15am...I wake up in the hospital laying in a chair bed next to Kendall. She is the first thing I see. She is looking over in my direction....either out the window or at me. I tell her good morning and was not expecting what I heard next. The first thing out of her mouth was "I'm ready to get started with this." No time to wake up, get adjusted or even get a cup of coffee. She has made up her mind and is 100% ready to take on the big "C". When it comes to Kendall being ready to do something and she has it on her mind, there's no stopping her. I hope that I could be as confident as her in continuing this journey. She shows no fear. Now me, I want to do some recon on the subject and figure out the best way, tactically, to defeat it. But it has been very apparent today that the doctors here at MD Anderson have done all the recon necessary to help Kendall fight her battle. ...
......Tammy slept at the hotel last night as it was my turn to hold watch. I hope she got some rest because tonight could be the night that sets the pace for the first of Kendall's many treatments....

.....The doctors came in today around lunch time and explained to us what exactly what Kendall will be dealing with. Leukemia 8;21 was the final results of all this testing and retesting. The doctor said that it's a very "favorable" treatment but it will be intense. The first part of treatment is called Induction. It will be 5 days of chemotherapy treatment with 3 different types of anti-cancer drugs. They will monitor her blood for the next few weeks to see how she responds to the treatment. There's a chance that she will be discharged from the hospital next week but will be on limited action for 3 to 4 weeks. She will ,however, be with us at an apartment. The doctors then said if the first treatment worked then we can move on to part 2. So then part 2 will consist of 5 more additional treatments spanned out over the next 6 to 7 months. Each treatment consisting of a 4 day spell back in the hospital. The treatments should be about every 4 to 6 weeks apart. And in between these treatments we will be having to go to different doctors to draw and monitor blood about every 2 to 3 days. Dont let me forget that they will be performing bone marrow aspiration about every treatment period.....I know it sounds like alot and believe me we have another notebook full of information about what to do. I think you need to go to medical school just to understand it.

SO...with all of this fresh in our mind, what does Kendall think about....Hey, lets go cut my hair! Here we go again, wheeling her down to the beauty shop. This time no excuse was going to work. Kendall had about 5 inches of her hair cut off. Kendall said she wanted to start off gradually. I had left her with Tammy while I went off to handle some other business and when I returned I had to look twice to make sure this person was Kendall. I know it's only 5 inches but Kendall has always had long hair. The more I stared at her the more beautiful it looked......

.....Back in the room we still had some other doctors and her case manager came in going over more information. Kendall decided she wanted to take a nap so me and Tammy went and looked at some different places to stay that the case manager gave us to check out.

About 8:00pm, the nurse, Susan, came in to give Kendall her first treatment. The nurse gives her about 8 or so pills, put drops in her eyes, placed a couple of more bags on the IV poll and gave her several shots. As I prepare to leave Kendall with Tammy tonight, I cant help but think about what else I'm suppose to do for her. But right now its just to sit with her and learn about as much about this as I can.

Today was especially hard for a couple of reasons. Dylan started school today and I wasn't there to be with him. I can't hug him or see him get on or off the bus. I can't be there to see his facial reactions about his first day and I'm sorry. This is nobody's fault but I want to tell him I wish I could be there with him as well but I will see him soon. I love you Dylan.

I want to thank our family and friends for their continued support and prayers for Kendall. Know that we think about all of you every day and thank God that we have been blessed with loving people in our lives....

18 comments:

  1. Kendall Layne I KNOW that you look absolutely gorgeous with short sassy hair! of course I'm a bit partial to the short hair.. but still! :) Glad I got to talk to you tonight! Get some sleep and I dont think we have to tell you that we are praying for you.. b/c you know we constantly are! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kendall your hair looks cute.Im going to go tomorrow and get a sound card for the video cam that way you can hear all of us at the same time. I know you can't wait.
    Miss and love you,
    Ms. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendall, Tammy, and Daryl, I just wanted to let you know that ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers each and everyday. Tammy, I love you and if there is anything I can do for you back here in Birmingham, all you have to do is ask. Take care and tell Kendall to continue to be strong and fight hard like she always has on the softball field. Love Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It amazes me how strong you have been thru this whole experience. You know we are still praying for you. We love you and miss you bunches!

    Love
    Whitney, Chad & Karsyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daryl, Tammy, and Kendall --

    On the way home from church a little bit ago, I had some Hillsong playing on my iPod. The words in this one song stuck out and I felt like I needed to pass this on to you. I hope it will be of some encouragement and comfort to you, your wife and daughter... right now. Hang in there and know that God has not forgotten you. Many people are praying for you and remembering you.

    You hold my every moment, You calm my raging sea
    You walk with me through fire and heal all my disease
    I trust in You, I trust in You...

    I believe You're my Healer, I believe You are all I need
    I believe You're my Portion, I believe You're more than enough for me
    Jesus, You're all I need...

    Nothing is impossible for You, You hold the world in Your hand

    I believe You're my Healer....

    God bless you.
    Renee' Seals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendall as I write this message I hope you are sleeping peacefully. I think of you and am praying often for you.I can't wait to see your new hair cut. I bet it will look great! Stay strong and know you have family who will be there to keep your spirits lifted .
    Love to my Angel,
    Aunt Nene

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found out about this and am so sorry that I have not been able to let all of you know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I know that the love and support of family and friends will help all of you through this. Faith, hope and love are the best of things! God be with all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. GOOD MORNING BEAUTIFUL, JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW I'M THINKING OF YOU AS ALWAYS. BET YOU LOOK REAL SASSY WITH YOUR NEW HAIR. KEEP THAT CUTE CHIN OF YOURS UP AND GIVE YOUR MOM A BIG HUG TODAY FROM ME. WE ARE HERE FOR YA'LL IF YOU NEED ANYTHING. ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS AND PRAYERS LOVE JAMIE L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdAugust 13, 2009 at 7:32 AM

    Good morning sweet Kendall! Just wanted you to know we are thinking about you and Daryl and Tammy. We're keeping the home fires burning, as they say, with lots of love and help from family, friends and neighbors. We know the true you, and believe in you, and know that you will fight this thing with all your heart and soul. We can hardly wait for you to come back home to us with all of that "bad" stuff treated and gone, and for you to know only a bright future and long life full of happy momments.
    Lots of Love,
    Granny and Pawpaw

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Team Kendall,

    It sounds like the adventure has truly begun. Gardendale is a-buzz and filled with prayer. May your hearts be a little lighter because of it.

    My quote for the day is.....

    "Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice" -Bethany Hamilton (surfer)

    Kendall - kick butt girl, you know what to do!!!!

    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall,
    This is the top of the first inning. The goal is to hold them scoreless and you score everytime you get up to bat. You can do this. You are constantly on our hearts and in our prayers. God will strengthen you and He is there holding you through every treatment. Rest in His arms and let the drugs do their job. With love, The Getwans

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kendall, Tammy & Daryl
    As I pray for you today, I not only pray for healing but also for emotional peace. I can only imagine what a toll this takes on you, worrying about things coming at you from all directions. Kendall - I know you'll beat this. GOD is using you and although it's not the path you would have planned for yourself, it is an honor to be worthy of HIM. Tammy & Daryl - ya'll are doing a wonderful job of being there for everyone, GOD has entrusted ya'll to help Kendall through this journey & that also is an honor given to you by HIM. We love you all & will continue to pray daily. Lots of love, Chuck & Anne Belcher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy and Darrel,
    I could not read your last update and not send my thoughts to you. As I sit here, realzing that I am fighting this same demon with my Dad, I can sympathize with so many of your thoughts and feelings. Your thoughts concerning being conflicted about being away from your other family members made me want to share this with you...
    When I was in High School and my younger brother was in Jr. High, my parents were forced to focus their attention on caring for my older brother for 4 1/2 years due to his injury and illness. It was difficult to understand at the time, but my younger brother and I learned so many life long and valuable lessons about my parents. The most important being their devotion to their children. Their decision alone, was one of the toughest they had to make, but we learned through that decision and by witnessing their love and care toward my brother that there would be no limit to their love for us. And the realization that if it were to have been myself of my younger brother, they would have made the same decision changed us forever.
    However difficult this may be, your other children are witnessing your love and devotion to them. In time they will understand that you did and will continue to do what is necessary for your family. To now be able to look back, thirty years, and realize my parents strength, faith and love for us and each other is a priceless treasure.
    Don't get me wrong, the guilt will still be there, you may forever look back and "rethink" some decisions. But I just wanted you both to know that from this "child's" point of view, good things and wonderful life long lessons will result from the decisions you have been forced to make, and All of your children will benefit and become stronger.
    You are loved and remembered every day!
    Lisa Parker

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kendall I do not personally know you but have heard about you through mutual friends. I want to take a moment and let you know that you have been in my prayers. I was awakened around 2:00 a.m. this morning with you on my mind. I began to pray for you and asked that the Lord give you the peace and comfort to get through this. I asked for healing upon your body and that through this you lean on Jesus for strength. Just wanted to let you know that people you don't even know are praying for you... Remember through God all things are possible! Love in Christ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kendall, I've been thinking about you today. I keep praying that peace, strength, and abundant love keep raining down on you from our wonderful Lord. Reading Daryl's blog, it sounds like you are trusting in God to take care of you, and you're conserving your strength to fight your best fight. I know you'll get through this and, that way, be a shining example of what God can do. I'm not very good at expressing myself, but just know that you have a lot of people sending their love and prayers towards your family. Love in Christ.

    Susan Harper

    ReplyDelete
  16. Greetings. I stumbled into your blog here tonight but thought I could offer some encouragement, as I am an MD Anderson patient myself (lymphoma) three years out from a successful chemo run that still has the docs scratching their heads...I have an underlying inherited immunodeficiency and they were most worried, but I responded like a textbook case.

    The folks at MDA are first-rate all-around; a friend of mine's 12-year-old son beat an aggressive form of AML (6?) with a double-cord marrow transplant about 2 years ago and he's doing great today.

    One bit of wisdom I picked up through my many medical odysseys (the cancer was just more of the same, as far I as was concerned) is that it's easier to be the patient than to be the family of the patient...so comfort yourselves with that. When you're the one that's sick, you just go with the flow and get on with it all; what other choice does one have? It sounds like Kendall is just the sort of person who sails through this sort of thing and comes out the other side stronger, wiser, and deeper.

    Godspeed. And don't ever lose sight of the the Light even on the darker days. As my own history testifies (I like to say I've lived 40 years past my warranty), God doesn't pay attention to statistics.

    P.S. Maybe we'll run into each other in the elevator (my clinic is near "B" (or, blech, the CT scan waiting room) when I'm down there in Sept for my 3-year checkup.

    P.P.S. I don't know why, but my craving for dairy (milk, cheese) went up markedly during my chemo. My regular cereal mix tasted like cardboard so I had to go to another mix with lots of cinnamon... White grape juice ain't too bad, after a few weeks :) Hope the side effects lean towards the mild side for you.

    P.P.P.S. The biggest challenge we found about the whole episode was the scheduling, fitting in all the blood draws, appointments, etc, into everything else normal going on. Stay ahead of that.

    P.P.P.P.S. Try to get to the Houston Museum of Natural Science if you can while you're there; it's a pretty good one, and it's very close.

    P.P.P.P.P.S. The compassion beaming from your postings here is gloriously bright. I've no doubt that you will all get through this no matter how tough it gets here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey babe,
    I know I just talked with you less than an hour ago, but I needed you to know how much your Dad and I love you. You are very strong like your Dad, now you both have something else in common : you will both be cancer survivors.
    With all our love
    sweet dreams
    Daddy and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey my lil sis,
    well im sitting here with you on my mind. i wanted you to know that back here in good ole alabama there are prayers going out everywhere. Everyday you are on my mind as well as others. Keep your head up and stay strong! As aunt stacey said use that Thomas Hard Head! Sleep good. See you soon. Love you bunches! Jess

    ReplyDelete