Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Beach Trip

Pressing forward through another day of Kendall's journey continues to take us all on a new journey. We receive calls, letters, text messages and emails from people that are saying prayers for Kendall every day. Some of these people are sharing their own personal experiences dealing with Cancer or any other journey going on in their life. Let me tell you, Kendall as well as Tammy and me enjoy every bit of it. The encouragement and uplifting that people can give is unbelievable. This is by itself a "healing" that should be done more often by one another. The last 20 years of my life, I have been working as a police officer. I have worked in many areas of police work. I, more often than not, usually am dealing with people that are going through very difficult times and are at their worst. I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone has troubled times, no matter who you are. And it is such a blessing for people to "lift you up" during those times. People we don't even know are praying for Kendall and sending her words of encouragement as well as me and Tammy. This is what is such a blessing to witness. As hard as this journey is for Kendall and myself, people have been carrying us through it. Not to mention my new energy for reading the bible and trying to apply scripture to everything I do.


2 Tim 3:16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

We took Kendall to Galveston Island today. It was cloudy but that was probably better for her anyway. We drove the car out onto the beach and parked right in front of the water. Kendall and Tammy sat on a blanket while I waded in the Gulf. Bragan and Candice attempted to come out in the ocean until Candice said she stepped on something and it moved out from under her feet. That was all it took and I was alone in the ocean. The girls all laid on the blanket for a while why I just stared at the water. The beach there is not as beautiful as the Alabama coast, no sandy white beaches, but given the circumstance...it was an afternoon at the beach. We stayed for a few hours and then packed up and went to eat. We found a local restaurant to cool off.

Back to Houston we went, traffic by now was getting heavy so it took us a little longer to get back. But we made it, just in time to get a nap. Kendall laid down and rested while Tammy, Bragan and Candice dove into a puzzle. They had it out all over the table. All of them are so intense and determined to finish it before Bragan and Candice go home tomorrow. I read up on current events from the computer and listened to them laugh.

As things wind down, we prepare for tomorrow. Nothing really to do, no hospital, blood work or anything. Just have to be here for Kendall. Her medication has increased as well as me taking her temperature 4-5 times a day. I am beginning to watch her more closely as her counts start to drop lower. We will continue to handle things like we did the first round and hope that we do as good a job.

I really find this verse tonight to be my new drive. I find myself applying scripture to everything I do. And for me, that's a good thing. I had misplaced that part of me for too long.

8 comments:

  1. Kendall Thomas - I am jealous! You got to go to the beach today. How fun! It makes me think of the Spring Break trip when you and Emily went with us to Gulf Shores. Great memories! I know it was good for all of you to get away for the day. We continue to pray for you all daily.
    Love, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs. Sissy..Im very jealous speakin of the fact im so pale and need a tan! ha but i cant wait to be out there, hopefully it will be sunny so we can nap by the pool and catch some rays! We had technical difficulties tonight at Whits for dinner AKA "My support group" haha I love yall tons and hope you have a splendid rest of the week/weekend cuz I'll be there Sunday! Woohoo!!! Hugs and Kisses
    -Emers :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of those strangers praying, I just wanted to say hi and I'm thinking of you all. I pray the Lord carries you all through this together and with great strength.

    ~Valerie
    Vestavia Hills, AL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say you are always in my thoughts and prayers. Kendall you have and will always be a daughter to me and your Mom is the closet thing I have to a sister. All those times you and Em acused us of dressing alike, I find it humerous that on numerous occasions Ella and Karsyn have had the same or similiar outfits on so I guess our freakish "esp" on pickin an outfit will continue on in our future generations, and that makes me smile. Can't wait to get you home. Continue to be strong and feel God's loving arms around you. P.S. don't let Em get to attached to Texas.

    LOve you bunches ... Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thursday TK,

    The blog today sounds like a kind of settling in for the long haul. Kind of like planting yourself for the next hit. Well, with all the prayers and well-wishes, the next hit will be something incredibly and extravagantly good...like coming home.

    Because you have so many people who talk to you on this forum and so much of the expressions are about inspiration and motivation, I try to do some humor in the daily quote. Sometimes I have a quote picked out and then when I get to read the entry, I have to find something more appropriate to fit. Daryl always seems to "beat me to the punch" so to speak. He's right about this blog carrying you, but also it carries the rest of us too. Read it often and let it do its work...you'll continue to be amazed.

    Today's quote..."Don't tell God how big your problems are...tell your problems how big your God is."

    Prayers today for the quickest 13 days ever, for the settling in to renew, relax and replenish your strength and resolve, for safe travels and for the inner spirit to continue to carry you through this maze. All glory to God for everything. Let the Holy Spirit's graces pour down on you and strengthen you. I ask St Michael, the patron of warriors, to stand on your shoulders and fight along side you.

    Lifting you up
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the quote of the today, hadn't thought about problems that way..... Sounds like the beach trip was fun. That is all i want to do when I go, is just sit on a blanket and watch the ocean and everyone else play in it or lay in the grass and look at the stars if you know what I mean?. Glad you are getting some down time, so rest up and stay strong. Love. Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's important for me that you all know just how very empowering the sharing of this journey is to those of us who care so much. It helps me to pray for specific needs as you share the more intimate details. The scripture that God places on your heart daily encourages me and helps me to grow in my own spiritual journey. THANK YOU for this. May God continue to heal Kendall and grow you each, even stronger, in The Faith. Love and Blessings to you all.

    Denise Tubbs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kendall! Wish I could find time to go to the beach.........lol.........you stand strong as you have throughout this journey and you will be healed. I have prayed for you every day and will continue to do so. And shave my head too! I love you and hope to see you home soon.

    My brother, yet another amazing witness for Christ to everyone that reads this. I am in tears, tears of joy, tears of pain, I never knew there were so many kinds of tears! You are not alone in this journey, there are many around you. You keep doing what you are doing, and I have asked the Lord to give you that strength so many times. Sorry you got stuck out in the ocean by yourself, wish I could have been there! I love you, please give Tammy and Kendall big hugs for me. Brother David

    ReplyDelete