Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Good Report

Well, today was the day we have been waiting for. First round of chemotherapy is complete. We arrived at the hospital about 7:30am and went through the usual blood labs. We then went to eat a quick breakfast down in the cafeteria. Kendall had her usual, gravy biscuits. We were not due to see the doctor until 10:00am, but we went to her office anyway hoping they might have tell us something earlier. A little after 10:00am, the doctor came in to talk to us. She said that Kendall's "blasts" were down a little from the bone marrow aspiration test, but not to the level that they were hoping for. But they were down. They want to do another bone marrow aspiration next week, anticipating that the "blasts" will be down even more. The spinal fluid showed no signs of Leukemic cells at all. They want to start the second part of her treatment next week. Overall, it was a good report. The doctor said that Kendall has responded beautifully to the treatment with little side effects and that it was working. The doctor said that it would even be alright if Kendall wanted to take a trip home towards the end of her second cycle, provided it works as well as it has the first time. So if all goes well, Kendall can home for a visit at the end of the month for about 10 days. Kendall's blood levels have improved even more since Tuesday and are working on their on.

This first round has had both ups and downs. Has been difficult for Kendall learning how to deal with her new lifestyle. But it has been positive. Kendall has been overwhelmingly strong through this and I am so proud of her for being able to handle this the way that she has. Not that I had any doubts that she couldn't.

Kendall went with me to pick up Chase at the airport. She was really glad to see him. Chase talked about his flight and we made small talk but Kendall wanted him to herself so I walked up ahead a little bit, not that they were paying me any attention anyway. We went back to the apartment where we joined Tammy, Keith and Deb for dinner. Tammy had cooked Chicken and Rice for everybody. We ate, watched a little football and talked through the evening.

All in all the reports were good, a work in progress. We know this is going to take awhile. We're still looking at 6 months worth of chemotherapy treatments to go. But one day at a time we will deal with it the best way that we can. Now that we have been through this first part, and especially the way Kendall has responded to the treatment, me and Tammy have talked about one of us going home for awhile. How hard is that going to be, leaving one of your children with something like this. As sure as I have been with God leading our path, I trust in Him that he will guide us to the right decision.


John 8:16
But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me.

16 comments:

  1. Glad to here the good news. Daryl's doing a great job with this blog also. It's been great to hear of the good progress. Will keep you all in our thoughts & prayers. Keep up the smiles.
    Love Scott Donna & Brooke Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that round one is complete and it's time for round two! You and your family are in my prayers daily!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord, that is great news.. I know you can sleep a little easier tonight.Keep up the great job on the blog Daryl. You really are a good writer. Love to all of you.
    Sharon and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. woop woop!!! i got really excited when ken texted me the great news...our date to bww might be sooner than expected!!! im basically in love with your new hair and i really hope you go with my idea of a long blonde as the freebie!! i cant wait to see my second family, whenever that may be...hopefully sooner than later! I hope you have a fantastic weekend with "bubbs" i love yall to the moon and back!
    -Emily Ann-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Great News... Praise God.. I am so happy to hear. Go Kendall!
    Love and Prayers! Randy, Carol and Whitney!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kiddo, All I can say is Thank God for the good report!!! You have continued to amaze me with your strength through all of this.I talked to Ms. Deb yesterday and she said you look great! I pray that all goes well and that you get to come home for a breather so I can see for myself!! You are in our prayers daily and we thank God daily for bringing you this far!! WE LOVE YOU!! Have fun with Chase this weekend! ttyl. Love Auny Stacy, Uncle Mark,Sierra, & Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is so good! He knows Kendal that you are a fighter. I loved the bogan. Your beauty is within and in your smile. Unlike me (lost hair to chemo '04) you are young, bold and beautiful enough to pull off going bare head :)
    Love & Prayers
    Karen Jones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kendall,
    I am so happy to read the first round of treatment is over and how well you have
    responded. My prayer is that you will be
    able to go home in a few weeks. Being home
    with family and friends will lift your spirits
    and make the time go by faster. I talked
    to Aunt Dot and Uncle Bing yesterday afternoon
    and they told me the results of the test. They
    love you so much. The picture of you and
    Uncle Bing that Daryl posted in the first pics
    is so good. I also love the both of them with
    all my heart. I hope that everyone's weekend
    is good and you and your family will be in
    my prayers daily.

    Love,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIG - for sure

    Hiya TK,

    All's well on Magnolia...Randy came home with a bottle of Maalox...I'll leave it up to you to guess what the dr said was wrong with him...lol

    The cheerleader in me is out again...alls I need is a teeny skirt and some pompoms...HOOORAY, HOOORAY It's KENDALL DAY!!!!
    I intend to smile all day long and reflect on God's goodness.

    Today's thought (this is more for D&T)..."Children will not remember you for the material thingsyou provide, but for the feelings that you cherished them." - Richard Evans

    I know your hearts are bursting with a mixture of pride, relief, anxiety, thankfulness, praise and love. This first leg has been powered by adrenaline...take the next few days and really, truly rest and relax. Rejuvenate yourselves and lets get geared up for round 2.

    Prayers are in praise for Our Father's mercy and goodness. Thank you, Lord, for providing an MD Anderson and its staff, thank you for Tammy and Daryl's unwavering committment, thank you for the family whose ties grow stronger each day, thank you for the opportunity to share and witness this incredible adventure and thank you for perfect love.

    Lifting you up
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdSeptember 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM

    Good morning to TK in Houston! What wonderful news about the results of the treatments! Kendall, you are so strong, in your mind, body and spirit, and we are so proud of you! Hope you have a wonderful visit with Chase and all of you laugh a lot!

    We are going to the G'dale football game tonight to watch Dylan in action along the sidelines. We haven't been to a highschool football game in quite a while. I'm sure we will be doing lots of picture taking and laughing ourselves, as it is sometimes more fun to watch the action on the sidelines and in the stands than the action on the field...

    We are looking forward to the visit home, when we can see that glowing smile in person! We also miss all your hugs and those beautiful expressive eyes rolling at some comment or silly statement someone makes. We will continue to pray for complete healing, and for comfort and peace for all of you.

    Love you all bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise the Lord! This is great news. Stand strong and know that we are all here with you. I know that trip home sounds good and I will make sure that I can get down to see you all when that day does come. Hugs and kisses to all! Love you, brother David

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey to all of you, Praise God for the wonderful report yesterday. All of you are in my Thoughts and PRAYERS. Daryl,again thank you for keeping all of us up on what everyone is doing. Love Y'll. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  13. GOD IS GOOD.....When Chase text me yesterday morning at 10:02 (you must have been still talking to dr. when you text him at 10:01)I couldn't stop praising God. I know how important this was for all of you and all of us.I told God yesterday that i was just going to give him the day of praise and not ask nothing of him just praise what he has already done. But today is today and yes my prayer request has already put him in overload.

    I am so glad yall have decided to come home that will give you something to look forward too. I know everything is working just for this PERFECT PLAN so make sure you take it all in knowing that God is creating a miracle
    right in front of your eyes.

    I love the hair it looks just like yours just in a short and sassy way. You be cute no
    matter what ... you know i would also like to see that long blonde one.. kinda partial to blonde.

    Enjoy the weekend and enjoy the good news!!!!

    Prayers and love for you,
    Ms. Patti
    love you too my son. Be careful while your out, momma loves you much....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kendall Layne.. Thank our precious God for Good news about your first round!! You are a daily prayer request that God is answering in so many ways! I'm thinking that the BWW night will be a lot sooner than later even if we have to bring the Wings to Magnolia street.. :) and dont let Emily talk you into a blonde wig! (because we all know how many times shes tried to go brunette.. its obviously so much better!) hahaha jk.. We miss you and hopefully we all will be seeing you soon!! Love -Ashlyn and Kris

    Daryll- Thank you so much for keeping everyone here a part of this by updating!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praise the Lord with all your heart!!! What wonderful news. God Bless you and enjoy the long weekend. Rest and build your strength for round two and a knock out punch to AML!!!

    Ann Getwan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey babe,
    I know we have only been back in G'dal a few hours but, we already miss you so much. I thank God for being there with you this week and being there when the good news came. God is so good in all His works and He has continued to bless all of us. This is just the beginning of good news for you. I know you still have a long hard road ahead but, with His strength and presence you will conquer this battle. Continue to have a great time with Chase baby and thank every one for a great visit to Houston. Until tomorrow, we love you always.
    ps I am so excited about your new hair! You looked so beautiful.
    Love you
    Dad and Deb

    ReplyDelete