Friday, September 4, 2009

Beautiful,simply beautiful!

Today is a day that will no doubt be remembered by me as Beautiful. We started out the day with a visit from Keith and Deb. They came over to the apartment today to spend the day with Kendall. They had to go home today and I could see the look of frustration in their faces knowing that neither of them wanted to leave. We sat around and talked and then decided to go to lunch. I assumed that Kendall and Chase would go and me and Tammy would stay behind so they could spend some time with her. But then they invited us to go as well. I was excited to go because I didn't want to miss out on any fun. Kendall wanted Mexican so we found another place down the street. It was really good and we all laughed and made jokes. For those of you that don't know. Keith and Deb and Tammy and me have bought Kendall a couple of "Cranial Prosthesis" which is the medical word for a wig. Kendall still has some hair but it has been coming out over the last few days. Kendall was wearing one, and honestly I can not tell the difference, because the cut is the same as her real hair. We were being seated at a table and none of us really payed any attention that there was a large fan right over the table. I wasn't even thinking when I went to the side without the fan, because I didn't want to sit next it. Then Kendall walked right over in front of it....and well.... the fan was blowing really fast. But Kendall was quick enough to make an adjustment and nothing went wrong. We all began looking at one another until Kendall started laughing and then we all started laughing as well. We had a good lunch. We then went to the apartment to get the rest of Keith and Debs stuff because they had to go to the airport to go home.

This is the part I was not looking forward to. They said their goodbyes, hugged and kissed and told each other they loved one another. I began thinking how hard this must be for both of them as they were walking out the door. How I am going to dread doing this myself or for Tammy when the time comes. I'm really glad Keith and Deb were able to come out, we really did have a great time together. I know Kendall is looking forward to the next visit.

So with the mood being a little bit down, what's the best thing to do....go get ice cream. So that's what we did. Chick-Fil-A and ice cream and shakes. That always make you fell better.

The rest of the afternoon goes by kinda fast. We watched a movie, I'm making an Auburn toboggan and we discussed cutting Kendalls hair. Kendall is ready to shave her hair off as it has really began to come out. I had brought a shaver, because that's what I use for mine...well the side of my head anyway. So Kendall is anxious to do this but doesn't want anyone to see it but me. So Kendall and me go in the bathroom and I began to shave her hair. Inside, I'm wanting to bust out crying because I know she is going to see what I've done to her and she is going to get upset. She said the razor felt good as I went over the top of her head. She said it was like someone scratching her head. But the more I shaved the more beautiful she became. She was already beautiful and the first thing I said is look at those big beautiful eyes. She has had her head down during most of the shaving. As soon as she looked in the mirror she placed her head down again and started crying. I got on my knees in all that hair on the floor and just held her. I wanted to cry with her but I needed to be strong, for her, for me. I told her how beautiful she was with or without hair and I don't how anyone could think anything other. I asked her to look at me and her eyes were filled with tears. She had tracks on her face from the tears falling. No mistaking those blue eyes for brown anymore. I told her that she was going to get through this. She shook her head and I wiped her tears away. She said she that she was alright. I told her to get a shower and wash all the hair off of her as I cleaned up the bathroom.

Chase, Tammy and myself were in the living room when she came out of her room. She had taken a shower and was ready for bed. As she came through the door, her smile was as big as I have ever seen it. She had a hooded sweatshirt on with her head covered. She was displaying so many emotions on her face. But one thing was for sure...is that she was beautiful.


1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

12 comments:

  1. GOOD MORNING KENDALL

    WHAT CAN I SAY THAT DARYLL HAS NOT SAID ABOUT YOUR HAIR? HE IS SO RIGHT THE HAIR DOES NOT MAKE YOU WHO YOU ARE. TRY TO LOOK AT IT AS A NEW STYLE TO TRYOUT. THEN IT WILL START TO GROW AND YOU WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT STYLE THEN TO. WHEN B.J.'S GREW BACK AFTER THE TRANPLANT HIS WAS A LITTLE DIFFERENT COLOR AND A DIFFERENT TECTURE BUT IT LOOKS GOOD. B.J. HAD CURLY HAIR NOW IT IS STRAIGHT.I EVEN LIKED THE NO HAIR LOOK ON HIM. WE TRIED TO GET HIM TO KEEP IT THAT WAY.
    I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU BEING ABLE TO GET OUT. I KNOW THAT HELPS SOME BEING THAT YOU ARE SO FAR FROM HOME.
    I CHECK ON YOU EVERYDAY. I PRAY THAT YOU WILL GET TO COME HOME SOON. I CAN TELL BY THE NUMBER OF COMMENTS THAT YOU HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE PRAYING FOR YOU AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU.
    TELL YOU MOTHER I SAID TO STAY STRONG LIKE HER DAUGHTER.

    MAY GOD BLESS YOU
    LOVE
    CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD MORNING ALL. KENDALL, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AND DON'T YOU EVEN THINK TWICE ABOUT IT. GOOD CATCH AT THE MEXICAN PLACE, THAT COULD HAVE BEEN A DISASTER.........I'M GLAD THAT KEITH AND DEB WAS ABLE TO COME SPEND SOME TIME WITH YOU, HOPE THEY HAVE A SAFE TRIP BACK HOME. SAME GOES FOR CHASE. YOU STAND STRONG GIRL, FOR YOU ARE AN ANGEL! I LOVE YOU!

    MY BROTHER, YOU ARE A VERY STRONG PERSON AND I CANNOT SAY HOW PROUD I AM OF YOU. YOU AND TAMMY STAND STRONG AND KNOW THAT THERE IS A TON OF PEOPLE OUT HERE PRAYING FOR ALL OF YOU. WE WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THIS TOGETHER. I LOVE YOU, BROTHER DAVID

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdSeptember 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM

    Good morning all. Beautiful, simply beautiful. Well said, Daryl.

    We love all of you very much, and are right there with you and all the emotions you are feeling. As is true Kendall style, you keep on smiling through the tears - that spirit shines through you like a bright light! We are so proud of you, of all of you, and will continue to pray for healing, comfort and peace. Keep on writing Daryl - we need you to help us all keep so connected.

    Love you bunches and bunches,
    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. To All: I don't know Kendall very well but I do remember watching her play at Luman Harris. And I am also Brian M's cousin. He is married to Candi.

    To Kendall: Just remember bald is beautiful. Just look at Daryl! :) KEEP UP THE FIGHT!

    And on a side note....I may be a girl but I'm a huge football fan so I just have to say LET'S GO MOUTAINEERS! :) Just some friendly smack talk with just 2 weeks to go before WV @ AU.

    I hope everyone has a great day!

    Paige Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey babe,
    I know I am early with my post today but, I just could not wait until tonight. We were so blessed to have been with you this week and Oh what a great week it was. It was one of the hardest things for us to leave you. A big thank you for Daryl having experience in shaving hair. I know he did a great job and you look wonderful. Just remember beauty is only skin deep, true beauty comes from within, therefor you are just as beautiful with or without hair. Daryl' quote for the day sums it all up! Hope you continue to have a wonderful time with Chase I only wish we were still there. A big thank you to Tammy and Daryl it was a wonderful trip. With all our love.
    Dad and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daryl is right Kendall, you are beautiful!!
    I don't remember you having a whole lot of hair when you were born and that beauty has done nothing but grow since then. Just think of all the $$ your mom is going to save on hair products..ha. You are a strong and brave young lady and I am so proud of how far you have come already. My heart and prayers are with you.
    Tammy, I saw our Habanero's waiter and he said their business is off with you gone..they miss us and Tracee's smelly shrimp. :-D
    Love and hugs to all!!! Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey my lil sis,
    well im just sitting reading the post and all i can think about is how ready i am to see you. I cant wait to get on the plane, I love you very much and stay strong. You are so beautiful and nothing will change that. Enjoy your time with Chase, and me and Sierra will be there before you know it! I love you lil sis and ill see you soon! Friday can not get here soon enough!
    Love you,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. How ironic that today's post is about outward beauty, Em and I had a discussion about such today. We talked about how judging someone by their looks and not really getting to know them could cost you the possibility of a great relationship or friendship.It's your inward beauty that always in the long run outshines outward beauty. Luckily you have both so no worry!! Keep smiling and be strong. We love you and can't wait to give you a big hug.
    Jamie and Roger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya TK,

    Today's thought..."Just because you lost your 'fuzz' doesn't mean you aint' still a peach." - Dolly Parton

    No matter how many times you've been told that beauty is from within, you know alls you have to do is look in the mirror and see God's handiwork on your perfect face. There's no way round it girl...accept your fate...beauty, perfect, exquisite, fabulous beauty.

    Kendall, you're doing great!!! Hair is so personal and you've never been without it..so your comfort level is being stretched to its limits. If it'll bring any smile to your face, we may have to visit the cranial prosthesis place together...my hair's coming out in handfuls and the combover isn't keeping up.

    I've been lurking the internet and found some hats with velcro strips inside that you buy hair strips and you can change the hats to go with outfits. They're not so expensive and look really cute, especially the baseball caps with shoulder length hair and bangs...I'll e-mail you the link when I get back to work.

    Channeling all good thoughts your way and praying for continued strength, determination and fortitude. Lord, please lighten the load and provide laughter and light-heartedness to better cope.

    Lifting you up
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, TK...
    The first thing I want to say is War Eagle!!

    The second thing I want to say is Kendall, you are my hero! You are so brave and keeping a smile on your face. I don't know that I could be that strong. I haven't spent a lot of time around you, just at your Granny Lyn's functions, but you are a beautiful girl - inside and out. I'm praying for you every day and bought some of your It's Whatever bracelets to give to my friends. Girl, you've got a lot of people praying for you.

    Daryl, I'm glad you posted the mailing address to the apartment. I'm working on some fleece toboggans for Kendall and will mail them as soon as they are finished. It'll just add a few different choices to your toboggans and the Cranial Enhancements.

    TK, I'm so thrilled with the results of the tests. I know you're excited about getting to come back to Birmingham for a visit. We'll keep praying that all continues to go well so you can keep that date in Birmingham. I hope I'll have the opportunity to see you when you get home.

    Now, it's getting close to time to watch our Tigers. Let's beat LaTech! Take care, my friends. Have a great night.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Team Kendall,
    I read your blogs each day and you are all such an inspiration to me. You are on our prayer list at church and I pray for you often. Daryl you have inspired me. I like to crochet and I usually don't have anything to do with the finished product. I have started making toboggans that I will send to the Children's Hospital Oncology unit. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration. Stay strong and know that many people are praying for you all.
    Cindy J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey to all of you. Kendall, we miss you and cannot wait until you can come home for a visit. Daryl, we knew you could handle the buzz cut with all of your experience :)- But we know bald is beautiful just by looking at you! We pray to God that you improve with every day God provides.
    Love you so much,Tracy and Tracy

    ReplyDelete