Monday, September 14, 2009

Who's Teaching Who?

Monday night comes to a close as does the finishing of the second chemotherapy treatment. I am beginning to see Kendall's fight stretch out toward what I feel is going to be her toughest battle. The fight is leaving her tired for the fourth day in a row. But I do believe that Kendall is pushing this fight beyond all limits. Her smile still shines even though I can see in her eyes how tired she has become. I want to push her like I did when I coached her in softball when she was little. Give her that extra word of encouragement that I know she can do it. Tell her that she CAN do ALL things through CHRIST , which strengthen her. All these things....I do, but it upsets me that I can not do any of them for her. All I have are words. This fight...she must accomplish with God at her side. I pray that I have given her all the training necessary that she needs to complete this. Kendall is very determined to complete this and I will be here with her throughout her journey.

Today after we finished her treatment, we took her for a surprise. Bragan and Candice had flown out here to see her. Kendall did not know they were coming. Even as I am pulling into the airport to pick them up, we didn't tell her who was coming. Bragan has not been able to see Kendall since her wedding. Hugs and kisses and tears were coming from everyone when we met up. We went back to the car and then to lunch.
Bragan had to work last night and has not been to sleep yet. We went back to the apartment where I was sure Bragan was going to take a nap. Didn't happen. We all sat in the living room and talked for hours. About 5:30pm, Kendall as well as Bragan, decided to take a nap and that's exactly what they both did. The rest of us stayed awake and flipped through the tv channels.

Kendall woke up long enough to eat something and then went back to bed. Probably for the night. We go to the hospital tomorrow for a lumbar puncture and to get some blood lab work done. It's not until 12:30pm, so we may get to sleep in a little late. Bragan and Candace will be here through the week so I'm sure Kendall will not be bored.


I talked tonight about whether or not I have given Kendall all the "necessary training" that she needs. I look back over the last 15 years of my life. Time that I have had with Kendall to teach her these things. I know that my relationship with God hasn't always been where I wanted it to be. Especially now looking back, there was always things that I could have done differently or applied a bible verse to a particular decision that I may have been struggling with. This is the one thing, even now, that I so desperately want to give to Kendall....and that is a relationship with God. God gives us choices and it is up to us to make the right choices in what we believe to be right...in Gods eyes. We talked about God the other night and Kendall told us that she has a relationship with HIM. That relationship is hers and I do believe she has the "necessary training" to deal with this in her own way. This bible verse I try and apply even now...no matter how old our children are.


Deuteronomy 4:9
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

6 comments:

  1. Another Rainy Tuesday,
    Good Morning,

    We all have that 'I wonder if' when it comes to the life lessons we teach our children. We instill, or try to, morals, compassion, caring, work ethic and so much more...how much of it really caught? Did I stress this enough? Did I harp on that enough? Did he/she really understand the meaning of what I was trying to convey? How do we know?

    I think you guys have proof that not only Kendall, but all your children, are flourishing in this tough situation. They are blossoming and showing just what is important, what you taught them was important. They are truly living out the commitment of your parenting. Have no doubt about this.

    Today's quote...Your fight is..."a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired, you quit with the gorilla's tired."

    Prayers for peace and comfort for the entire family, for Kendall to bounce back quickly and have litte down time, and for Ms. Pharr and all other patients to have strength to continue in their fight. Thank you Lord for visits of family and friends to break up the monotony. Thank you for all your blessings and miracles, especially those we miss or take for granted. Please grant this family your mercy, peace and comfort. All praise and thanksgiving goes to you Father.

    Lifting you up
    Tina, Randy and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kendall. You do not know me and I only know you through the things that your granny and papa tell me. I am 20 and work at the Cracker Barell in Trussville. Your grandparents are some of my regulars that come in and see me. They told me the day that you got diagnosed with cancer and I have been praying for you ever since. I know that this is crazy having someone you don't know write you, but what I want to tell you is to stay strong and trust in God to carry you through. There is a verse in Matthew and I'm gonna paraphrase it for you. "Come to me all who are weak and weary and burdened. Cast all your hardships on me for MY yoke is easy and my burden is light." God wants you to come to him and cast all on Him. I know that He will see you through. Look to Him for encouragement and strength even in the darkest situations. I will continue to pray for you always.

    In Him,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny Lyn and Pawpaw EdSeptember 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

    Good morning to my family in Houston. Today is another day that God has given us, and as we strive to be what He wants us to be and to be thankful for this day, I feel in my heart that we are all still in a learning curve, but making progress. As a parent, (and now a grandparent and great-grandparent), I often ask myself if I was all I could have been to my children. Parenting is a tough job, and I'm so very proud of my son Daryl and his wife Tammy for being such wonderful parents to their children. The strength they all are showing now is a result of many lessons learned.

    We continue to give thanks for so many blessings and pray for complete healing of Kendall. You are one tough cookie, my sweet Kendall, and we know you will continue to fight even though you are weary right now. We know you will enjoy your visitors and hopefully the time will pass swiftly to the time when you can come home for a little bit.

    We love all of you bunches and bunches,

    Granny Lyn and Pawpaw Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daryl,
    I continue to see God's hand guiding and using you during this time. Seeing your children suffer is one of the most difficult trials a parent goes through. You've spoken the words that many caring parents have lived. The questions about whether we've equipped them well and about what we wish we'd done better. Many of us have been there. Although most of us will never experience the anxiety and pain of seeing our child battle such an enemy as cancer, we have labored in pain and poured many a tear over our childrens struggles in life. We like you would have gladly carried those burdens on our own shoulders. We wished so much to take away their pain and would have gladly traded places with them as that would have been an easier road to travel. We were not given that choice. Instead, God gives us ears to listen and eyes to see and encouragement and hope and always love and the strength to stay the course. Daryl, I see you utilizing these gifts. Continue to call on Him who will never fail you. Continue to hold on even when it would be so easy to give in to the foe at hand. Continue to fight the good fight. Forge ahead. Don't look back. God is with you, perfecting your faith and equipping you for the road ahead. He is performing uncountable miracles though this. Miracles that are seen and many that are unseen.

    We love you guys,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, all of you.


    The Hills

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey babe,
    To our precious girl, I only wish I could take your place in this journey of your life but, for some reason God has allowed this to be your journey. We often question God why these things are happening to us and the answers may not come soon enough for us to understand. There are also times the answers never come but, as Christian we must have faith and except the trials we are put through. It is only through these trials that our faith should become stronger. As a parent we do not want our children to have to go through these life changing events, instead we want their lives to be filled with fun, adventures and just enjoy being young. We know how hard this is on you and it breaks our hearts not to be able to change places with you. I pray for you to have peace and know that God is in control and you will be stronger in your faith. May God wrap is arms around you and you know His presence is there. For God's word is greater than any thing we can imagine and He promised us He would carry us through the valleys. Continue to be strong, pray for His comfort, peace and healing. We miss you so much. With all our love!
    Hugs and kisses
    Dad and Deb

    ReplyDelete