Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Who You Looking At

Today is a day that definitely had Kendall Thomas written all over it. We went back to the doctor today for another Lumbar Puncture (chemotherapy treatment) after a long weekend. By now, it's been a few days since I shaved all of Kendall's hair off. She has been sensitive around people most of the weekend. She did open up to Chase some but for the most part, had a hoodie or a toboggan on. So as we were leaving today to go to the doctor, I was a little shocked when Kendall came out of her bedroom and walked right past me with nothing covering her head. I said, Kendall, you forgot your toboggan. And she said I'm not wearing one. She strutted out the apartment down to the car. When we arrived at the hospital, she again was walking with so much confidence it was breathtaking. She was almost daring you to look at her. Of course she looked beautiful and I think everyone else who saw her was saying the same thing. It reminded me of that word Kendall and her friends would say, "swagger". She really had it today.

We went back to the apartment for a while before going to walk around Target. By now I could see that she was getting tired and ready to go back. We don't want to overdo it but I know she enjoys getting out some. Being couped up in the apartment all day is not good for anybody. Her physical strength is coming back more, knowing only to take another hit when we start round 2. I hope this next roller coaster ride is as gentle to her as the first one was. We don't know her completed schedule yet as we will have to wait on the results from today and tomorrows tests. But could possibly start round 2 as early as Thursday.

I have taken some more pictures over the last week and haven't posted them because some of them are with Kendall's head shaved. But she has said that it wouldn't bother her for me to post them. I'm not so sure so I'm giving her some time to think about it. Over the next few days I will work on putting them together and will post only with her permission.

One more thought, as Kendall was laying in the hospital bed today after her procedure she talked to me about the posts I've been making. She said that I have been really short with the last couple of them and asked if something was wrong. What was I supposed to say, No. After our conversation she fell asleep. All I could think about is how much I love her. Going through having Leukemia and all the accessories that it carries, she still has the time to ask me how am I doing. She seems to know me best when I'm not feeling right and there is nothing that I wouldn't do for her. Kendall has grabbed a hold of this journey and she knows what she has to do and is determined to do it. Kendall is becoming more the teacher and me the student.


1 Chronicles 25:8
Young and old alike, teacher as well as student, cast lots for their duties.

No matter how much I have taught Kendall in the past, I am never above learning even from her. She is taking me to school for this journey.

9 comments:

  1. Get it Girl!! I can't wait to be there and let her strength rub off on me cuz Lord knows i could use some. Kendall Layne Thomas you are absolutely GORGEOUS and i am proud to call you my best friend and i know you are completely owning the new look. I feel like a part of me is missing and it hurts to know that there is nothing i can do to make all of this go away...i lay here lookin at old pictures and laugh at the stories that go with them..good times...I would do anything to go back to the days when we didnt have a worry in the world except for who was mad at who for the week (which those old notes i found are quite humerous) but anyways Daryl i know what you mean there have been quite a few nights she is giving me words of encouragement at 2 in the morning when I have completely broken down about all of this...Kendall Layne you are truly an amazing person and i cant thank you enough for being there to talk to whenever i need you...I'm ready to be there with you for a week cause we have soo much to talk about. Im counting down the days. I love yall TONS!!
    -Emily Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl, you (and your posts) are amazing. And there's no doubt Kendall has always had that swagger!! Coach Myrick would be proud.... Stay strong Ken, you have amazed us all beyond belief already. love you!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendall,

    You can have a bald head and still be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I love you so very much. I remember when you were a baby and you smelled SO good. Whitney and Bragan and Drew and Daniel never smelled that good. But my little Kendall was a little whiff of heaven. I have no idea why you did, but I'll never forget that. You're very precious to me.

    - Michael Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendall, you are such an amazing and beautiful person. You will never lose that swagger! I'm so proud of the strength and courage you have shown throughout this journey. I pray for you every day and only wish I could be there with you all. You show off that beautiful head of yours. As a matter of fact, when I get back home I'm gonna shave mine on off again, the sides that is, ha-ha!. Stand tall young lady, HE is with you always. I love you! Can't wait to see the pics.

    My brother, you are amazing as well. I did notice your blogs were getting a little short, but I knew you would get your swagger back! None better than to pick you up than Kendall. There is nothing wrong with being the student, we are all students of God. I can say that I have not been the best student in my lifetime, for that matter, even today, but you have given me new strength to believe in. Please know that I love you all and that I will be right in the front seat of this roller coaster ride right there with you. We haven't talked much on the phone, but I feel as if we have talked every day. Do not hesitate to call me if you need to. Gotta get ready for work, stay strong my brother!.......I love you, brother David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendall - This fight that you are in definitely says all that you are about...... It defines you and who you will be always, self confident, and a fighter and a beautiful one at that. I love the way you are handling yourself and know that you are only going to come out even stronger. I am so proud of you and all of your family for the strength and faith that is exhibited here everyday, it humbles me. Have a great day and stay strong. Love. Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. TK,
    It is soooooo awesome that you guys literally draw strength and courage, not only from HIM, but from one another. It is difficult to explain from the sidelines, other than saying that the absolute beauty in this journey y'all are taking is nurturing and growing your love for one another in ways others of us, who love our families so, will never be allowed to experience. This level of commitment and steadfast love for our precious families will often not be allowed to blossom as has yours. I hope that in this way you all can see just how special and amazing....not to mention inspiring, your example is setting. God is touching SO MANY LIVES through you guys. I am so grateful to be abe to pray for y'all and stay focused on your journey through this blessing called 'blog'. May you each have peace, patience, hope, endurance, rest, healing, love and laughter....through our sweet Saviour.
    With Love in Him,

    Denise Tubbs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Hump-day TK,

    In case you haven't heard, your newest family member's name is Ralph, a take off from Raphael one of the Mutant Ninja Turtles. Dylan carried him around the neighborhood last night, introducing him to everyone. Ralph is quite large.

    As I read the blog, I find myself speechless, or typeless, (whatever)...I have a notebook full of quotes, sitting on ready to try and motive, inspire, encourage...whatever you guys seem to need. But today, there is nothing I can add that would be beneficial or more thought provoking than what Daryl has already penned. So today's thought is just "love each other."

    Prayers for patience and lowering the frustration levels, for resolve and determination, for strength and compassion. Lord, open our eyes to your pathway, not ours, for your timeframe, for your will. Help us to seek you in all times and to find comfort in our faith and trust in you. Thank you for everything that we are.

    Lifting you up
    Randy, Tina and Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  8. TK - Thank you for reminding us all every day that life is good - no matter what the circumstances. When our family was on this journey, there were many days when we were down, and ALWAYS, someone sent a card, someone called, or we had a visit from God himself, reminding us that He did not promise all days would be sunny but He did promise a rainbow after the rain, and that He will never, ever forsake us.

    God is using you all to make such an impact on many, many lives - people who you cannot ever imagine. Thank you for reminding us that we are more than conquerors through Jesus Christ.

    My daily prayer for you all is strength for the day,love for each other, that you will feel the peace of God that passes all understanding, and that when you wonder how you can go on, you allow God to be your comfort and your strength, your mighty shelter.

    May God bless you, keep you, lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.

    Jo Caufield
    Isaiah 41:13

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kendall, you are an inspiration to young women everwhere. The inner light you have and the self-confidence in who you are is just amazing. You've heard the old saying "clothes do not make the man"? Well, you're the female version and I'm so honored to know you and I'm so proud of you.

    Daryl, you're doing such a great job with this blog. So many people have been reached and touched by what you've written. And the faith that exudes from your whole family is making an impact far beyond those you know.

    I'm proud of all of you. Keep up the good fight. My prayers for you are for rest, peace, continued success with the treatments, and continued faith in the path our Lord has put you on. He is there with you at all times. Never doubt that.

    Big hugs to you three special people. I hope you have a wonderful night.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete